Full brood box..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bees are happy but are definately out of space so Im concerned about swarming

And you have deciced that you do not give more space.
Why quys here try to help you and they give such advices which makes your beekeeping impossible.
Give another brood box and it is only way to proceed. And two supers are not enough ti double brood hive.

One brood and 2 supers is nothing beehive. No one can nurse such hive.

And that strange swarn control operation..

By the time the season ends the queen will have slowed down laying. Depending on the size of the hive you can either get back to single box by putting all the frames with brood into a single one or overwinter on dble. Splitting is an option but I rather have 1 strong hive going into winter than 2 weaker ones.

It is June now and the best summer shead.
It is not time to think how to overwinter.

Why not? It’s just like having two brood boxes

And excluder stoping to lay more. Where bees put pollen? They store it in honey frames.

Where to put nectar when super are full of honey. ... bees store nectar into brood combs.
Drying up nectar needs twice as much space than ready honey.

Last edited:
Let the colony swarm untill it is proper size
If you are lucky the queen will find a new home, and the hive will rear a less fecund sucessor.

And excluder stoping to lay more. Where bees put pollen? They store it in honey frames.

Where to put nectar when super are full of honey. ... bees store nectar into brood combs.
Drying up nectar needs twice as much space than ready honey.
But you have a whole box on the bottom empty of brood for the queen to lay up

I did a beekeeping course many years ago. I seem to remember at the time that you should always keep a couple of frames of stores in the brood box.

My situation now is that I have a 12 frame brood box and queen excluder and 2 reasonnably full supers on top. The brood box has 10 frames FULL of brood! There are also 2 brood frames of stores at either end.

The bees are happy but are definately out of space so Im concerned about swarming.

It may be a dumb question but can I just swap the 2 stores frames in the brood box for 2 blanks to give the queen more space to lay?
Just give her another box to lay up .
She obviously needs another box . You could swap out a couple of frames for drawn comb but that will only buy you a little time

Latest posts

Back