Sulphur candles in greenhouse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anybody used these?
I understand you have to take the plants out.
I have a grape vine growing in mine so I wondered whether it was safe to use sulphur once the leaves have dropped and the vine is dormant.
Has anybody here have a clue please?

i think you can use sulphur once the vine is totally dormant. But yes it does make the aluminium surface oxidise (but then again, just the same as sulphur strifs make runners oxidise wen you use them on beekeeping equipment)

When sulphur is burned it produces sulphur dioxide which is harmful to lungs. If you're asthmatic or bronchitic, use with care. Light blue touch paper and retire!

(but then again, just the same as sulphur strifs make runners oxidise wen you use them on beekeeping equipment)

Yes, but not quite the same. You can easily change the runners in a beehive...

Evil things, I thought they'd been banned! Armillatox (or Jeyes fluid) sounds a much better option.

Evil things, I thought they'd been banned! Armillatox (or Jeyes fluid) sounds a much better option.

:iagree:
easier to use and much less faff - use it to sterilise the soil as well but even the jeyes fluid you get now isn't the same as in the good old days.
Am I alone in actually liking the smell of jeyes fluid ?

:iagree:
easier to use and much less faff - use it to sterilise the soil as well but even the jeyes fluid you get now isn't the same as in the good old days.
Am I alone in actually liking the smell of jeyes fluid ?

Reminds me of the facilities provided at the Scouts camp at Broughton Warren... perhaps that was the taste in the Tavistock honey... although the supplier is said to dip his supers in creasote!

What would be a harmless bug killer for a vinery?

I would try using a BBQ, you should get them from the shops cheap now; if they have any left. As the carbon monoxide would kill everything, apart from certain bacteria and the plants can stay I would imagine.

Light it and leave it burn out overnight, make sure you open the doors in the morning and leave to get air through. Organic way to :)

I would try using a BBQ, you should get them from the shops cheap now; if they have any left. As the carbon monoxide would kill everything, apart from certain bacteria and the plants can stay I would imagine.

Light it and leave it burn out overnight, make sure you open the doors in the morning and leave to get air through. Organic way to :)

So what would the lethal dose of CO be for fungal spores or insect eggs? I can't see your method acheiving much I'm afraid.

OK a really harmful one for the bugs / pathogens / anything else that would harm my vine?

Most vineries use bordaux mixture which is a form of copper sulphate. it is sprade on the vines and kills mildew and other things.

you used to be able to get it from garden centers/diy shops. not sure if what they sell is the same as what someone like chateau d'yquem would be using but im sure some of our french members may be able to find out.

I suspected as much...thanks.
It's armillatox and elbow grease then.

There is a product which I have used for fumigating greenhouses which is called "Biofume Greenhouse Candles". It is using something based on garlic, but the smell only lingers for a few days. Might be worth a look?

Thanks, yes I've looked at that but it doesn't get rid of fungal spores which is what I'm really after.

I've found a sulphur treatment that says it's OK on dormant vines and suggests that greenhouse aluminium is protected by a layer of oxidation anyway.
Perhaps I should put my empty cedar boxes in there at the same time.

suggests

Suggests, but does not guarantee? I would be asking them for a written guarantee before usuing it. That is not my experience of the anodising on greenhouse extrusions.

It might be OK for a Harrods type construction, with about 35 microns of anodising, but not for the general run-of-the-mill products.

BTDT, a long time ago, with an Eden aluminium glasshouse. After that I sterilised with formalin (formaldehyde) which may not be good for the vine roots (but they should be outside the structure?) but not sure about whether it is appropriate or not. A guess is 'no'.

My Greenhouse is solid timber and glass.... any suggestions for that... like the idea of fumigating the waxed supers at the same time.. where do I get sulphur bombs from... or could I boil up some acetic acid ?

Latest posts

Back