Suits connundrum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Newbie here with my first question.

Folks are telling me that in regards to suits you get what you pay for and being new to this (so far) amazing hobby I want to be well protected.

I almost hit the buy it now button on a BJ Sherriff suit on some website for £138, however I thought id try an all in one suit from "Simon the Beekeeper" first - after all at only £33.50 it was worth a punt.

It has just arrived in the post, and although I know very little about clothing I have been introduced to beekeeping by a couple of completely separate people who have leant me their very expensive suits to explore their Apiary - my new suit seems much more sturdy and "safe" (with regards to Velcro flaps, zips etc) than the suits I borrowed.

The idea was to buy a cheap one and an expensive one, but now im thinking I just buy a second suit from Simon?

So my question is, what is the difference between Simons suits and the suits that seem to go for an extra £100?

they do the job just fine. but sizing options are limited (i always get strangled when bending over in the XXL ones as they are designed for XXL fat people, not 6'2 ones). Also, expect zippers to last just 1 or 2 seasons.

they do the job just fine. but sizing options are limited (i always get strangled when bending over in the XXL ones as they are designed for XXL fat people, not 6'2 ones). Also, expect zippers to last just 1 or 2 seasons.

Ive just got a new suit from BB wear. The XL fit perfectly in terms of body size but was too short in length The XXL is basically the exact same length, but for the more rotund.

For an extra £20 I ordered an XL with an extra 3 inches length in the body. Cost £20 more but fits a treat and was completely bespoke.

Ive just got a new suit from BB wear. The XL fit perfectly in terms of body size but was too short in length The XXL is basically the exact same length, but for the more rotund.

For an extra £20 I ordered an XL with an extra 3 inches length in the body. Cost £20 more but fits a treat and was completely bespoke.

indeed. something Simon, thornes and the likes will not do for you...

The mesh on my cheap suit became brittle after a couple of years and the bees got in. My Sherriff suit has lasted me much longer and the mesh is as flexible as ever, despite washing. I've bought for longevity.

Last edited:
lots of great opinions - thanks guys.

if I was to summarise this its obvious you get better quality in a suit from say BB wear, and I think that's exactly where I will go once my "cheaper" suit starts to show problems.

it sounds however one of the issues is the amount of time its used and how its stored, which is the same with everything in life really. I fall into the two hives rather than the 20+ hives keeper and im normally good at storing suits (ie not just chucking them into the corner of the room) -its encouraging to hear others have gone cheap and they've lasted a good few years.

I wish I knew I could have got 20% with my BBKA number!!, maybe ill put a BBwear suit on my Christmas wish list

Ventilated suits

Avoid Z..da ventilated suits @ £99 -110 hood mesh brittle and size chart incorrect. (In my opinion) Holes in hood mesh. Full refund received after prompting and they sent return label so no return costs. Just saying.

My first and only jacket was £35 from ebay. It is hung up on a coat hangar when not is use.
Reveiled now (for £35!) and some hand stitching repaired (Badly by me) and still going strong..

It is now 7 years old and my only article of beekeeping clothing - apart from two £5 hats with veils..

But then I am an exiled Scot...

I got mine for about £50 each from the local apiary. I don't know what make they are but they are pretty durable except that the Velcro over the zips has failed but I can just get some stronger stuff and replace that.

After years of faffing about with bee jackets, over trousers and wellies I've finally bought a BBwear lightweight retro beesuit £134 including pair of spats.
Ii's an absolute delight to wear. .....Long zips at the ankles make it easier to put on than other makes and the retro hood keeps that annoying buzz away from the ears.

S61 Hive Ranger from Sherriff for me......

I've been quite happy with my BeeBasic suit, which wasn't too pricey.

Latest posts

Back