Suit or separates?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. I having completed my first beekeeping course and joined a local association and started another beginners course. Up to now I have borrowed beekeeping suits but I think it's time to start spending some cash and getting my own gear.
I have searched for recommendations regarding suits and I realise that it is a personal choice but as I have worn jackets and a full suit, I wonder if separates are preferable or a full suit? I have tried a fencing veil and the round type and I prefer the former.
Also is eBay a good option or genuine beekeeping sites?
Mike

I have only used jackets. Having to struggle into a suit is more than I wish to contemplate. Even with a lightweight jacket,I cook in the sun. In a suit I would be well done..

Its a personal choice but i prefare the jacket over a full suit, i bought a cheap one from ebay a few years back and it is still going strong, the heat issue however is no good to me so i will be forking out soon on a 3 layered Oz Armour jacket so i do not sweat as much.

personaly i would use a genuine beekeeping sites not due to the ebay ones letting the bees in but due to weight (some cheaper gear weights a ton) which is fine if you only are planing to have 1-2 hives in the backyard.

Suit for a beginner ... quite unnerving when bees crawl up your back as you're bending over. However, all other comments about cooking are also correct ...

BBwear - I have full suits and jackets from them and they're all good. There are others, including Sheriff, but I'd go for a company that offers after sales repairs rather than eBay or similar.

I have a full suit and the smock. The full suit is good when you are a beginner to build up your confidence however it takes a little while longer to get in and out off.

The smock I find rides up my back a bit so I'm just waiting to get stung in the derriere.

The suit I got was ventilated like the Oz Armour one Millet mentions, but a bit cheaper. No problem with sweating. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TOHQ2SO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The important things are that you feel both comfortable and secure. Both discomfort and the nagging fear that those thousands of bees whose home you invading may get up close and personal with you are factors that might make your hobby less attractive.
If you can visit a beekeeping supplier to try the options on, so much the better.

I have, (and use) both!

Jacket, when they're likely to be well tempered, (warm weather / quick observations)

Full suit e.t.c.-e.t.c. when they're likely to be a little pissed off.

Full suit every time. When I used a jacket years ago I frequently got that tickling feeling on an inaccessible part of my anatomy = panic in the middle of a tricky hive manipulation.
Make sure the suit legs are zipped to easily fit over wellies.
Of all the bee equipment we have to buy a good suit has high priority - I have seen cheepos where the neck-zip arrangement looks dodgy.
Re overheating: some manufacturers e.g. BBwear have the choice of lightweight material - which is what I wear.

I have both, if I only need to have a peek in one or two hives I use a jacket for convenience.
However if I am doing full hive inspections I wear a full suit for practical purposes.
The practical part being I have ruined many pairs of trousers when doing full inspections with propolis staining.

Of all the bee equipment we have to buy a good suit has high priority - I have seen cheepos where the neck-zip arrangement looks dodgy.
Re overheating: some manufacturers e.g. BBwear have the choice of lightweight material - which is what I wear.

:yeahthat:They also wash well and dry very quickly, I think they are still doing a discount for bka members.

I gave up on separates some 28 years ago and never regretted moving to a suit. It's one less thing to worry about.

PH

Mine's a lightweight Sherrif suit and it's more comfortable than the heavy cotton suit I first had. It also gives me confidence when in the thick of it. Sherrif ask you for lots of measurements so you end up with a good fit.

I wear nothing only wear jacket and veil when they are not happy which is rare so far. The one I do have is from eBay and is good but as others noted it does get warm so if you only have 1 or 2 it's ok otherwise I would personally only have veil

Decisions, decisions. Simon the Beekeeper has some low cost suits and he seems to get a good reputation on here. I might get a jacket and trousers to start and then invest in a sheriff or BB suit later on. that way I can use the jacket if someone wants to help out.

I'm a "larger gent" and find just a jacket does the job, I got mine from Simon, went there and tried a few on (so that it would fit). Because I'm "cuddly" it seals well below my trouser waistband, so I feel quite safe.

I think it needs to be that, you need to feel safe, so you are calm. There is a "naked beekeeper", but he had a veil on, and I notice a lot of the US beeks use nothing (although they are clothed), but they get stung and just don't seem to care. Wish I was so hardy :)

I imagine all of the good suppliers have good suits, but I think what I did that I feel worked well for me was going to try them on and seeing how I felt in them, so I would suggest go to your nearest supplier and see what you think.

K

Back