suggestions for extractor (cheapish)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreaW

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just thinking incase one comes up in the sales!

I will hopefully have 2 colonies next year so not many. Need to get an extractor that isn't too dear but needs to take Manleys. Does anyone recommend the T**s cheap plastic universal ones? I am presuming I can cope with a manual rather than electric for just 2 hives?

Thanks

Not sure if its the same but I used the bees on a budget extractor last year, now passed on to someone else. Found it perfectly fine for one or two hives, you'd probably want something bigger for more though.

Whatever you choose, an extractor is a big outlay. As MA above demonstrates, his small extractor lasted him one season. If you think you may incraese your number of colonies, why not bite the bullet now, and go for the best you can afford that will still be of use to you in years to come. After all a good extractor should last a life time

If your a member of your local association why not just borrow theirs and spend the couple of hundred pounds you would have spent on a exstactor on your second hive

is it because the extra thickness means that when placed against the cage sides the lugs don't fit in the loops/slots?

All it says in the book is 'a problem with this frame, however is that one needs a radial extractor for them' (page 71 para.2) - no explanation and no qualification int chaper 11 (extracting) either

I have just extracted my Manleys using a tangential extractor - worked fine, but need to be careful with unwired foundation. Seemed much easier last year, but I thinks the bees have found a bit of heather locally and it is harder to spin out.

Latest posts

Back