sugar syrup ratio

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5:3 by weight is v close to "2:1" by Manley

That is a begin of new era. It is called "Golden Section Feeding".
It is about 0,61803398874989...

How it sounds: I feed my bees according "Golden Section ".

golden_rectangles.png

This is how I mix my syrup using a 1 litre measuring jug and a few 6 pint milk cartons:

1) Fill the measuring jug with sugar and empty this into one of the milk cartons
2) Fill the measuring jug again with sugar and empty this into the same milk carton.

You now have a milk carton with two jugs worth of sugar in it.

3) boil the kettle and fill the same 1 litre jug with freshly boiled water, then pour the water into the milk carton with the sugar.

you now have a milk carton with 2 jugs of sugar and 1 jug of very hot water. Put the top on the carton and spend 5 minutes sat on the sofa shaking it vigorously.

I repeat this over and over until I have enough syrup.

I can make up enough syrup in one night to feed 4 hives and have never found that the sugar crystalizes or fails to dissolve.

I was just in Lidl. I bought 55 kg sugar.
I filled the pulsator loundry machine with sugar.

Water pot has fire under it. I heat up water to 80C.
Then I fill loudry machine to same level what sugar was.

The syrup will have proper temperature, about 40C and I deliver the syrup into feeders.

and have never found that the sugar crystalizes or fails to dissolve.

I have allways sugar crystalls on feeder bottom. It tells to me that concentration is saturated= maximum strong.
At the end I pour pure water onto solid sugar and bees lick it, or I pour the last sugar to ground.

Last edited:
I was just in Lidl. I bought 55 kg sugar.
I filled the pulsator loundry machine with sugar.

Water pot has fire under it. I heat up water to 80C.
Then I fill loudry machine to same level what sugar was.

The syrup will have proper temperature, about 40C and I deliver the syrup into feeders.

I have seen "high shear " syrup mixers. But you could describe them as "laundry machines" with a fancy paddle.

A saturated solution by any means is just as good. :)

-
Oh dear!

.You have a weighed amount of sugar and then you should measure water...

.ask your wife to do it...she feels herself irreplaceable....as long as you keep bees

Weight solids, measure liquids - thought you knew something about chemistry ?

Actually, perhaps we should talk in terms of moles to prevent ambiguity, rather than ratios ... ?

LJ

What's the handle for? was it made before electric was invented :biggrinjester:

You yongsters Redwood ... this was how we LIVED !!

The handle was for the mangle on the top of the machine ... so after the paddle (we had one with the paddle on the side of the drum but later ones had a central paddle) had done it's business bashing your washing around for half and hour or so you hooked the washing out with a pair of wooden laundry tonges and pushed the corner into the mangle whilst your 5 year old son (me !) turned the handle and pressed the water out of the washed clothes ... before they got pegged out on the washing line. Tuimble driers (and even spin driers) came along much later !!

Oh ... and so did the water heaters inside the washing machine.... our water heater was a very large kettle on top of the range which was poured into the washing machine.

My grandmother DID have a hand powered washing machine ... fortunately, she had a housemaid who actually did the washing !!

Last edited:
You yongsters Redwood ... this was how we LIVED !!

The handle was for the mangle on the top of the machine ... so after the paddle (we had one with the paddle on the side of the drum but later ones had a central paddle) had done it's business bashing your washing around for half and hour or so you hooked the washing out with a pair of wooden laundry tonges and pushed the corner into the mangle whilst your 5 year old son (me !) turned the handle and pressed the water out of the washed clothes ... before they got pegged out on the washing line. Tuimble driers (and even spin driers) came along much later !!

Oh ... and so did the water heaters inside the washing machine.... our water heater was a very large kettle on top of the range which was poured into the washing machine.

My grandmother DID have a hand powered washing machine ... fortunately, she had a housemaid who actually did the washing !!

Unfortunately I do remember them, The boys in work pulled one out of a skip many moons ago to wash our overalls, it must have lasted about 20 years until a pat tester condemned it, now we have a industrial automatic which probably saves our boss hours of down time

Unfortunately I do remember them, The boys in work pulled one out of a skip many moons ago to wash our overalls, it must have lasted about 20 years until a pat tester condemned it, now we have a industrial automatic which probably saves our boss hours of down time

It probably won't last another 20 years after it has been skipped though !! More metal in those old washing machines and mangles than you get in a modern car !!

we had one with the paddle on the side of the drum

Who can remember what the advertising slogan of another maker was when they refered to this side mounted paddle?

Latest posts

Back