Sudden colony death

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angularity

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have (had) a small colony, in a five frame nuc. They were from a late swarm last year. The Queen had started laying well, with a nice little brood pattern on three cells and plenty of stores.

I noticed they were quiet this morning, opened up to have a quick look and they're all dead. All clustered on top of the brood (apart from those which have fallen off onto the floor). The queen is in the centre of the cluster, dead. They're all pointing upwards, some with their heads in cells, presumably feeding larvae. It's as if they all died at the same instant, just frozen in time.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

I would say lack of stores through this current weather, mine have been flying on the odd good day bringing lots of pollen in but on the whole they are in the hive more than they are flying so i will be checking the hive weights on my next visit and adding fondant if needed.

How much honey did they have. With this prolonged rubbish spell I’ve been checking mine and have syrup on two

They had plenty of ivy honey left over, but I guess now that wasn't enough.

I understand that "Bees with heads in cells" can be indicative of starvation. Which sounds likely to me.

From what I have read, seen and discussed, the "warm-cold-warm-cold" seems to have cost us a lot of colonies. The warm triggering them to commence build up, committing their immediate stores, then a cold snap prevents them moving to the longer term stores and they have brood to feed.

Mike has also pointed out that some of his, he feels, had "no pollen" and that it was simply the lack of pollen that resulted in the colony demise.

It has been an unusual spell, we have had some days like summer here (Dunstable) followed by some definately wintry days, and there have clearly been unexpected losses amongst many beekeepers, both expert and novice. The novices could be explained by beekeepers doing the wrong thing, but the experienced beekeepers, with good varroa practice and hive management have also lost many more colonies than they would have anticipated, this suggests that it is this weather and it's no good blaming yourself, or the bees for that matter.

K

You should notice to inspect the hive more often. Nothing else can save it.

And brood consumes stores quickly. You do not have winter there. Apple trees do not bloom in winter, do they?

I have (had) a small colony, in a five frame nuc. They were from a late swarm last year. The Queen had started laying well, with a nice little brood pattern on three cells and plenty of stores.

I noticed they were quiet this morning, opened up to have a quick look and they're all dead. All clustered on top of the brood (apart from those which have fallen off onto the floor). The queen is in the centre of the cluster, dead. They're all pointing upwards, some with their heads in cells, presumably feeding larvae. It's as if they all died at the same instant, just frozen in time.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Wood or poly?
If wood, any insulation?

Latest posts

Back