Such a waste

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I'm very unhappy with myself. Due to sloth and other pressing issues, I was late with my Certan treatment. This has resulted in the loss of 3 precious boxes of drawn brood frames stored in my bee shed.
The frames left in bait hives outside are all fine. I think the spiders Hoover up the wax moth in outside stored boxes. Perhaps I should breed spiders for the bee shed?
Cazza

It's a real bummer that.

Wax moth are terrible this year. Had a box of old comb destined for melting down completely overrun - cannot believe how many larvae there were. Burnt well on bonfire night though!

Cold snap should help.

My other bummer was the mess they made of the poly roof I used to cover the boxes. That was a lesson learnt.
Cazza

I'm very unhappy with myself. Due to sloth and other pressing issues, I was late with my Certan treatment. This has resulted in the loss of 3 precious boxes of drawn brood frames stored in my bee shed.
The frames left in bait hives outside are all fine. I think the spiders Hoover up the wax moth in outside stored boxes. Perhaps I should breed spiders for the bee shed?
Cazza

All my drawn comb, brood or super, is stored in bee-tight boxes outside but still gets wax moth so I have to remember to inspect regularly and ignite sulphur strips if necessary. I've read on the forum that 'wet' super comb is immune - but not in my case. :puke:

I give any brood frames or supers get a very light , quick spray with Bascillus thurgiensys when their going to be out of use for a while. Biological bacteria that eat all caterpillars. The spores ( or not exactly spores, but the same thing) stay dormant for weeks until a larvae comes in to contact with them.
Wax moth do seem to get going so quick these days. Both types really.
Lots use the sulphur method, which works well too. The answer in my mind is prevention, as the cure is usually cutting out the infested wax from the frame and cleaning out the manky frame!

Cazza

Are you sure it is not temperature related?

I give any brood frames or supers get a very light , quick spray with Bascillus thurgiensys when their going to be out of use for a while. Biological bacteria that eat all caterpillars. The spores ( or not exactly spores, but the same thing) stay dormant for weeks until a larvae comes in to contact with them.
Wax moth do seem to get going so quick these days. Both types really.
Lots use the sulphur method, which works well too. The answer in my mind is prevention, as the cure is usually cutting out the infested wax from the frame and cleaning out the manky frame!

I usually use Certan and keep the frames moth free. This season I was just too slow off the mark.
Cazza

one prevention would be stopping pet shops selling them to kids as food for their bearded dragons and any that go past sell by date just getting dumped in the bin.

Sold as "waxworms".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_wax_moth

Last edited:
one prevention would be stopping pet shops selling them to kids as food for their bearded dragons and any that go past sell by date just getting dumped in the bin.

My youngest nephew used to keep something that ate crickets. A whole box full got out once and my sisters house chirped all over the place for months.

Don't think so. Bee shed is not insulated and very much like outside temp. Outside boxes are full of spiders.
Cazza

You live in the soft South so winters are not that cold..(frosts last two nights here)

You live in the soft South so winters are not that cold..(frosts last two nights here)

Hah. Ice layer on my Waterbutts's says different. Clearly you have never experienced the easterly winds from Siberia that hit us here. I live in the East, not the south.
If you look on a map you can see that Stoke isn't much further north than Thetford.
Cazza

Hah. Ice layer on my Waterbutts's says different. Clearly you have never experienced the easterly winds from Siberia that hit us here. I live in the East, not the south.
If you look on a map you can see that Stoke isn't much further north than Thetford.
Cazza

And not far off the same distance to Finland ! 200 miles to Stoke ... Only a about 1000 miles to Helsinki !!

Jet stream in the middle :)
By the way. That's a rotten thing Cazza
The only place I've ever seen wax moths is in the wasp traps

It's alright ... it's been scheduled to be relocated once we leave Europe ! And of course it will be aided once Trumpy does away with any environmental controls in the USA and Russia's, China's and the USA emissions all join up together north of the Acrtic circle ...

You had better stay on your hill in Wales as the lower areas of Britain will be underwater by the time he's finished ... mind you ... you will probably be under a glacier so it's as long as it's short. Lesotho beckons ....

By the way. That's a rotten thing Cazza
The only place I've ever seen wax moths is in the wasp traps

All my own fault. Completely avoidable. Must try harder.
Thank you four your supportive words.
C

Latest posts

Back