Sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a small car battery today that has a carrying handle, its not that bad to carry and it cost £32 with a 2 year warranty. I was going to try it all today but the wind blowing well here today so I'll wait until tomorrow.

I wonder if anyone has used sublimation with a floor with an under floor entrance ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a floor like JBM, I just slipped the vapouriser under the OMF. I placed a piece of slate on top of the Varroa tray to rest it on.

I wonder if anyone has used sublimation with a floor with an under floor entrance ?

Yep, I routed two channels so I can insert a piece of correx to seal the bottom of the floor below the mesh. My (home made) vapouriser is 'T' shaped and I place this in the entrance and seal using foam.

Any chance of a picture maddydog ?

I have a feeling the reason a car battery is suggested over a motorcycle is that most beeks have them to hand, well in their car and most beeks that have out apiaries would drive to them most times I would think. The cost of the varrox is also quite high the big t sells it at £132 so not something most small beekeepers would buy I would think. your looking at the total cost of over £160 with cost of mask which is getting very expensive for a 1 or 2 hive owner, but a beeks with 20 or more it would seem more viable.

£100 at the 2015 Spring Convention.

I've solved the problem guys !
I've drilled a hole in the rear crossbar of the floor, between the inspection tray and the mesh .
I then block entrance . Then poke my vapouriser through the hole and apply heat !
b536714b12cf02c0fe8530576a12e783.jpg

I've solved the problem guys !
I've drilled a hole in the rear crossbar of the floor, between the inspection tray and the mesh .
I then block entrance . Then poke my vapouriser through the hole and apply heat !
b536714b12cf02c0fe8530576a12e783.jpg

You may find your copper tube is to long. Soon as the oxalic acid gets to the cold tube it will probably re crystallise before it gets in the hive

I intend adjusting that !
I did keep the flame moving ,plus copper is an effective conductor of heat .
The s/steel mesh may however have the cooling effect you mentioned .
Inspection boards are in place to be monitored !

Last edited:
S/steel is a poor conductor , time will tell !

Maintaining the correct temperature range may be the difficult bit

Hi

Yes I have cheap version from Ukraine used last week for the 2nd year and it works . Slight downside is shallow pan so don't use if you are recovering from the New Year ;-)

In practice ,I found the 15 m/m stop end a little small to hold 2 grams of OA, I therefore added a 15 to 22 m/m reducer . Much less fiddly !
Also I shortened the tube some what !
Job done but I'm still a little concerned that deploying it under the mesh floor may have reduced the vapour entering the brood box by the cold mesh recrystallising a portion ?

Latest posts

Back