Attitudes to oxalic acid treatment in USA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats all good and fine if you only treat mites once a year. Do you never let the bees build drone comb on the bottom of some of your brood frames?

That calculation means that don't underestimate "few mites".

95% dead rate out of 1000 mites means that 50 are alive.

95% out of 100 mites means that 5 is alive.

90% out of 100 is 10 mites. It is much.

Last edited:
You just have wrong knowledge and you are going to keep it.'

My boy, who is now orthopedig surgeon, tpld that there was a lecture about issue, how medicine doctors get their new knowledge how Hippocrates says it.

It revieled out in a research that the the most important is who says and not what it is said.

Ten past three...

Finman,

If you have 30 mites after winter, you have a heavy load in late Summer.

If you think my colonies have your projected loading by late summer you are sadly mistaken. You are either deaf, or fail to read or understand that I do not go from Thymol treatment in September until the following September without any action against varroa. HEAR THAT? GOT IT?

My colonies likely have more than thirty mites in the spring but I do not allow my colonies to get to those projected loadings, by taking any appropriate opportunity as it arises, or is needed, to reduce mite numbers. GOT IT? Perhaps you might consider retracting this comment?

You are totally wriong. But it is your choice to be wrong and nothing will change it. (=stupid)

Perhaps it applies to yourself much better?

Similarly, silly comments, like the following, make me wonder what you are on! Perhaps you might put the bottle away for a while?

Oliver, take you pills. You make knowledge from nothing.

last year I lost 30% of my hives because Oxalic acid treatment is not enough...

It seems to me that you should not be so reliant on the one treatment or that you should monitor your colonies a little better than it appears from your HORRENDOUS colony losses.

Perhaps if you follow the following instructions, you would improve your beekeeping skills. Here they are... oh, on second thoughts you probably could not understand other IPM operations, or would think they were not any good as the first italics is emminently fitting in your case...so little point in giving them.

Have a nice day. My winter losses are running at around 5% this winter, less over the five year average. Your 30% is HORRENDOUS!!

Finman,

If you think my colonies have your projected loading by late summer you are sadly mistaken. You are either deaf, or fail to read or understand that I do not go from Thymol treatment in September until the following September without any action against varroa. HEAR THAT? GOT IT?

When I started this thread, I wrote about USA, not about your hives.

last year I lost 30% of my hives because Oxalic acid treatment is not enough...

Perhaps if you follow the following instructions, you would improve your beekeeping skills.

You and your skill. If you do not have losses, you have not tried your limits.

However, take you pills next time. I am going to change my medication, or doctor perhaps.

Last edited:
Personally I'd rather read and learn from real beekeeping experiences rather than some vague, bumptious nonsense of ipm and a my beekeeping is better than yours attitude, doesnt help anybody understand the issues one little bit IMO, whereas "last year I lost 30% of my hives because Oxalic acid treatment is not enough..." highlights the problem nicely and opens further avenues of discussion.

Personally I'd rather read and learn from real beekeeping experiences rather than some vague, bumptious nonsense of ipm and a my beekeeping is better than yours attitude, doesnt help anybody understand the issues one little bit IMO, whereas "last year I lost 30% of my hives because Oxalic acid treatment is not enough..." highlights the problem nicely and opens further avenues of discussion.

:iagree:

I have never lost a hive through winter!

Do I know what I am doing? No! I have only taken bees through two winters, so little experience. A few days ago I spoke to an aged beek who has 120 hives. His winter losses have been 20% so far.

I have 4 hives, and they get plenty ( probably too much) attention.
My queens are all young - too much swarming last year, which in my inexperience I did not keep on top of.

I monitor mite drop regularly. I use Thymol and Oxalic. I use as many IPM techniques as I can understand and can manage, and that make sense to me. Have never tried queen trapping - seems an awful lot of faffing about.

I am a doctor and in medicine we often use multi pronged methods of treatment to improve efficacy. TB is a good teacher. At first you were lucky to survive if you had TB. Then we tried fresh air and healthy diets and lifestyle. More survived. Then we tried an antibiotic. More survived. Then the bugs became resistant, so we added another, then the bugs became resistant so we added another. Now some TB bugs are super resistant.

Cancer is rarely treated with just surgery or just chemotherapy ( with just one drug).

The answer is, in medicine we learnt as we went along, collecting evidence and modifying our treatments accordingly.

Open minds are best!

Roll on spring.

I have never lost a hive through winter!

That is good luck.

Hives meet several winter losses which have nothing to do with beekeepers' skills.

Most of my winter losses derive from queen losses, nosema spoils a queen or two. I have a good laying queen in Autumn, and in Spring something has happened.

In Spring it revieles out that the queen's workers are sensitive to chalkbrood.
Some are so evil that it means dead to queen.

Nosema is bad.

I do not take headache from winter losses. I keep 20% extra hives and it should cover all accidents and evil queens.

But now during oxalic acid usage extra losses have appeared and I must arrange that thing. That makes nursing only interesting. I do not see nightmares for that.

I have allways something. Beekeeping is not mere sunshine. I know people whose whole life is mere sunhine but I am not those guys.

The worst I know is that a swarm rises to the tree top and 6 hours later it has gone. A full year's work went to sky's blue. That makes me swear and twenty naughty words helps a lot.

Aha. Kymmenen yli kolme siis?

No, Google translates it just fine. the problem is apparently in the understanding.

I read the message and understood, fifteen ten. It seems that people read the same message and take different meanings from it. I didn't automatically conclude that the message meant, thirteen, unlucky for some, but it could be construed that way.

Custom and practice have a lot to do with the interpretation of course. :)

Admin: You are a trouble maker :)

This environment is a little bit harsh compared to your maritime super special climate.

Hivemaker wrote today that he is going to rear queens.

Jep sure. I have again this night -18C temp and 50 cm snow.

I see some difference between Finland and England weather. Thanks to them who had told it to me. Otherwise I could not see any difference with with Kew Garden palm trees and our trees.

pakkanen_pakkasmitt_272381b.jpg

Aha. Kymmenen yli kolme siis?

No, Google translates it just fine. the problem is apparently in the understanding.
]

Whose understanding?

We can say exactly the same thing in 4 diffenent way but what does google

kymmenen yli kolme -Three ten

or kymmen yli kolme - Ten more than three

or kymmenen yli kolmen - Ten past three

or kymmen yli kolmen - more than three dozen

(but that does not prove that I do not have faults in my understanding)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back