Stupid Boy!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbritishhoney

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After reading a few other peoples' posts about nearly squashing / losing queens during recent inspections I thought, rather smugly, that that would never happen to me.......but...
I was collecting samples of bees from three hives yesterday. Got the sample from the first hive and was just about to reassemble the hive when, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the queen strolling around on the roof of an adjacent hive (where I had rested the crownboard).
Silly boy! More care needed.

You were careful enough to notice her, though, and not flip her into the grass!

:iamwithstupid:If it makes you feel any better, I removed a big chunk of brace comb yesterday which peeled off the side of a frame when I lifted it out for a look. I placed the comb in the "bee bits" bucket only to notice HM in the process of laying an egg in it....

I actually woke up at 4.30am in a cold sweat thinking about it this morning. I think I'm taking this beekeeping lark too seriously!

Got to do the opposite this weekend, find and commit regicide. Expecting a twinge of sadness as they are dispatched (assuming found!).

I have had a number of hives that when smoked at the entrance you always found the queen on the crownboard.

I used to make a note on the top of the crownboard to always check for HM underneath when inspecting said hives..

I have had a number of hives that when smoked at the entrance you always found the queen on the crownboard.

I used to make a note on the top of the crownboard to always check for HM underneath when inspecting said hives..

Might be a trick worth trying if anyone is looking for HM.:cheers2:

Makes finding her a lot easier though dont it!

G

That could be very handy, unfortunately one of my queens didn't co-operate and I was halfway through checking the frames for the 2nd time when I found her! Ok some of the blue marking paint had rubbed off (now re-marked) but I seem to think she may have been hiding on the inside wall of the BB.

Latest posts

Back