Strainer/bucket design

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm currently transferring honey from extractor to bucket through a 2 stage strainer. Its a battle with inquisitive insects. Looking at the design of the strainer with sliding support legs which leave an annular gap between bucket and strainer I'm thinking it's a pretty poor design. Draping a cloth over the open extractor valve and trying to secure it in such a manner as to not leave non wasp proof ways into the bucket is not easy. A flat annular disc of polycarbonate to fit closely to the strainer and sit flat on the bucket rim would be effective. Maybe some similar barrier from gate valve into strainer would also help. Before I start creating something does anyone know if it's already been invented?

I'm currently transferring honey from extractor to bucket through a 2 stage strainer. Its a battle with inquisitive insects. Looking at the design of the strainer with sliding support legs which leave an annular gap between bucket and strainer I'm thinking it's a pretty poor design. Draping a cloth over the open extractor valve and trying to secure it in such a manner as to not leave non wasp proof ways into the bucket is not easy. A flat annular disc of polycarbonate to fit closely to the strainer and sit flat on the bucket rim would be effective. Maybe some similar barrier from gate valve into strainer would also help. Before I start creating something does anyone know if it's already been invented?
Blimey, do you extract outside? I am in a sealed room! I would have all my bees with me if I tried that

What gets me is why when you get the inevitable odd 5 bees in the extracting room (kitchen) do they appear to produce as much poop as a flock of seaguls. Or is this just my bees

What gets me is why when you get the inevitable odd 5 bees in the extracting room (kitchen) do they appear to produce as much poop as a flock of seaguls. Or is this just my bees
Not just your bees!!
Had more than a few bees in the supers in the kitchen with me yesterday while I extracted, and this morning I've been discovering poop all around the house!

Alternatively install a chain screen over the door so people can get through it but keep the insects out.

We use them on some of the house doors so we can leave them open during the day in years when we have a Summer (ie. not this one) without ending up with a house full of flies. They work pretty well for that. We've found that the ones made of plastic strips or lengths of bamboo on strings or wooden beads are rubbish though. The metal ones are quite expensive comparatively speaking, but they're so much better.

James

We use them on some of the house doors so we can leave them open during the day in years when we have a Summer (ie. not this one) without ending up with a house full of flies. They work pretty well for that. We've found that the ones made of plastic strips or lengths of bamboo on strings or wooden beads are rubbish though. The metal ones are quite expensive comparatively speaking, but they're so much better.

James
Yes, chain screens work well, and it's easy to remove the unit at the end of the season. The other insect protection we use is plastic mesh. It is fitted with Velcro at the edges and has a magnetic divider/opener down the middle. Both options have issues if you're carrying a tray of food to eat al fresco (and have no free hands), but the mesh is easier to negotiate than chain which tends to drape over you until you've walked its full length. :rolleyes:

Yes, chain screens work well, and it's easy to remove the unit at the end of the season. The other insect protection we use is plastic mesh. It is fitted with Velcro at the edges and has a magnetic divider/opener down the middle. Both options have issues if you're carrying a tray of food to eat al fresco (and have no free hands), but the mesh is easier to negotiate than chain which tends to drape over you until you've walked its full length. :rolleyes:
I had a similar probelm before I changed the venue for extracting, the solution I found easy and effective was to drape a piece of clingfilm over the whole thing to seal the top and then use scissors to cut a circular hole just big enough for the honey to be poured through. Not only did it keep them out of the bucket but less seemed even to be interested, I think the reduced exposed surface area reduced the amount they could smell?

Latest posts

Back