Storing Wax Sheets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I have part built frames for my hive, my bees won't arrive until sometime in June. I read that it's best not to put the wired wax foundation in too early as it may sag, so I need to store the wax foundation until that time. I have cut some plywood to sandwich the foundation for storage to keep it flat, does anyone know the best environment to store it in, room temp, in the shed...... I am not sure what keeps it in the best condition. Or maybe it just doesn't matter.
Thanks Nick

I have part built frames for my hive, my bees won't arrive until sometime in June. I read that it's best not to put the wired wax foundation in too early as it may sag, so I need to store the wax foundation until that time. I have cut some plywood to sandwich the foundation for storage to keep it flat, does anyone know the best environment to store it in, room temp, in the shed...... I am not sure what keeps it in the best condition. Or maybe it just doesn't matter.
Thanks Nick

Room temperature not in the shed. I don't put it into frames until the latest point I can

Leave them in their plastic bags, lay them flat and don't squish them together too hard by putting something heavy on them or they may stick together. Oh keep them coolish too.

And if the sheets have gone hard, dry and/or brittle, refresh them with a light going over with the hairdryer after you've put them into the frames...

... or before you put them into the frames so that they don't crack when assembling things ;-)

... not in my experience. Wobbly soft foundation can be a nightmare to get into the slots etc.

Thanks Nick

Better still ... use them as starter strips and go foundationless ...

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27494

Thanks, a good use for the hairdryer, haven't needed it for a few years now :).
Foundationless seems interesting, but as a complete beginner I think I will stick to the foundation, still all good info for later. Thanks!

I leave my foundation in their plastic bags in a cardboard box in my shed, it doesn't hurt them at all. You will be making the frames up in Summer so they are hardly likely to be brittle, more likely the opposite.

I got carried away two years ago and made enough Brood and Super frames to fill three hives, the ones that never got drawn out are still the same as the day i made them, i store them in the garage in sealed hive bodies to stop anything eating them or destroying them.

I got carried away two years ago and made enough Brood and Super frames to fill three hives, the ones that never got drawn out are still the same as the day i made them, i store them in the garage in sealed hive bodies to stop anything eating them or destroying them.

Yes, I have a couple of boxes with made up frames in them. As long as they are sealed they'll be fine.

Yes, I have a couple of boxes with made up frames in them. As long as they are sealed they'll be fine.

I put supers made up last year in the car on a warm spring day; that softens old hard wax foundation and saves time with the hairdryer.

Have you ever done that with a whole box?or do you alternate with drawn frames or foundation?

Yes ... I've started a whole box with just triangular starter strips... the key is to limit the space the colony has to start with - just three frames with dummy boards either side and ideally with the frames aligned North/South. Once they have got one started straight they seem to carry on that way but if you do get one that starts the wrong way you need to get it out quick or you will have some very creative comb to deal with.

In some respects it is safer to give them a guide to work from - as I usually have spare drawn combs around these days I tend to start a colony off with at least a couple of drawn combs and then add the new foundationless frames between them. I don't like commercially sold foundation - I worry about what's in it regardless of the alleged quality. I suppose if you are wanting to go foundationless from day 1 and were nervous about them getting creative a frame or two with foundation to give them something to work from would be a compromise.

Naturally drawn comb can be a bit thicker than comb drawn from foundation - particularly at the top where they tend to store an arc of honey - so you need to be a bit careful lifting frames out as they do just leave a bee space between them at the top. But, this is what the bees want to do - largely unaided by the beekeepers direction - and my beekeeping principle has always been let them do what they want to do and just work with them.

The honey harvest is always a bonus - not an essential requirement. I know this does not suit everyone but I'm not the only beekeeper who seems to think that bees are happiest and healthiest when they are left to create the comb they want not what the beekeeper wants.

I leave my foundation in their plastic bags in a cardboard box in my shed, it doesn't hurt them at all. You will be making the frames up in Summer so they are hardly likely to be brittle, more likely the opposite.

+1

Except in our garage - in a large cardboard box.

It's not exactly rocket science but no problems so far...

+1

Except in our garage - in a large cardboard box.

It's not exactly rocket science but no problems so far...

Just make sure it's mouse or rat free - they just love nibbling bees wax and will go though a cardboard box (or even a polythenr box !) if they decide there is something in there worth having ....

Just make sure it's mouse or rat free - they just love nibbling bees wax and will go though a cardboard box (or even a polythenr box !) if they decide there is something in there worth having ....

Don't forget wood also ;) they will sharp chomp through that if they like the smell of what is inside.

Latest posts

Back