Storing brood combs of stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know some people keep their brood combs of stores in sealed plastic bags in the bee shed, but I'd really like to avoid using more plastic than is strictly necessary. I have an old metal four-drawer filing cabinet that I've been thinking could be repurposed for comb storage, hanging the frames from the runners just like the hanging files used to be. Then I can seal the gaps around the drawers with masking tape or something similar, or even fix some more permanent seals in place. I've now measured the cabinet up and it looks like the frames will fit ok, and there's room for the cabinet in the shed.

Is this a dumb idea, or is there anything obvious that I've not thought of that might mean it won't work?

James

You may get a strong smell if they start to ferment!

I know some people keep their brood combs of stores in sealed plastic bags in the bee shed, but I'd really like to avoid using more plastic than is strictly necessary. I have an old metal four-drawer filing cabinet that I've been thinking could be repurposed for comb storage, hanging the frames from the runners just like the hanging files used to be. Then I can seal the gaps around the drawers with masking tape or something similar, or even fix some more permanent seals in place. I've now measured the cabinet up and it looks like the frames will fit ok, and there's room for the cabinet in the shed.

Is this a dumb idea, or is there anything obvious that I've not thought of that might mean it won't work?

James
Maybe no need to seal the gaps - just put in a few spiders every so often to see off any wax moths.....?

Do Staples know about all this?

Hopefully not, otherwise we'll end up paying beekeeping prices for filing cabinets :(

Im actually interested if it works as I have redundant cabinets ,freezer full of frames and a lot of waxmoths waiting in the wings

I reckon it would, but if storing the combs outdoors in poly nucs works then I'm tempted to see if I can do it all that way first. I have far too many other things going on at the moment so the "least effort" option is definitely the favoured one.

James

Back