Storing Sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
Thinking of getting 2 bags of 25kg sugar for the winter as bookers has them on offers still for £36 for the 2 bags.

Does anyone keep the sugar in ex-mango drums so its rodant proof and do the bees mind it?

whats a mango drum?

Used to store chutney in by your local takeaway for all those popdoms you eat :)

recycled-mango-drum-5.jpg

The supermarkets are still doing 5 kg for £3.99. So the £36 for £50 kg is only saving £3.90.

Given than you can collect Clubcard or Nectar points, given than you can often get 5p of a litre of fuel when you spend £50, given than you don't have to make a special trip (just buy a few bags on ever supermarket visit for the next couple of months), given that 5 kg bags are easier to handle... I've never been convinced by such 'bulk buying'.

you get those for free?

must go and ask at my local. The amount of curries i eat im sure they will do some for me. After all they send me an xmas card each year.

I brought one bag last year seemed good value, im doing some homebrews too so need some sugar so thought I might as well look at storing it in the shed away from the SWMBO who doesnt want my beekeeping stuff in the house (already taken over the kitchen with stuff!)

you get those for free?

must go and ask at my local. The amount of curries i eat im sure they will do some for me. After all they send me an xmas card each year.

I havent asked but read somewhere most do if asked, places like smiths of the forest of dean sell them and often they are on ebay.

I get all my 10kg honey buckets free, local sandwich shop saves me all thier mayo tubs. Sounds like it might be a good idea for me to ask.

only £33.75 if you buy 50kg sugar at farmfoods,

doing some homebrews too

I would just use 25l poly buckets with sealing lids. Should be food grade if you are making beer/wine, I suppose, but not that important.

Yeah, I store my honey in a brewing tub, I've got a gallon from my hive in it at the moment. It's got a nice sealable lid so nothing gets in.

I store my sugary stuff in old chest freezers... free from the local tip... they are happier if the wire is cut off to prove they are not going to be used.

We use the same for horse and other animal feeds.

we had some rats remove the insulation from a couple of freezers, but so far have never had a breach.

Back