Storing New Frames / Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Do You Store New Kit?

• I Don't Make Frames Until i need them

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I Make my frames - But Don't Fit foundation until needed

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • I Make My Frames & Store with Foundation Ready to use

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Make frames up in the winter
Wax in the spring and store in brood boxes and nucs in a shed at the apiary

I always keep a large reserve of foundation - stays in plastic boxes in the shed.
Frames made up in bulk in the winter then I slot in a few hundred sheets in the spring ready to go and store them in a stach of spare brood boxes (you can usually fit a dozen in each for storage) and I usually have 20 or 30 frames still made up with foundation in from the previous season

I also make up frames through the Winter, store foundation in a filing cabinet in my garage and fit to the frames in Spring when the foundation is flexible again.

If you use non-hoffman frames, as I now do, then you can store them without their plastic spacers on, which allows you to get loads in a single brood box or other container.

If you use non-hoffman frames, as I now do, then you can store them without their plastic spacers on, which allows you to get loads in a single brood box or other container.

I'd rather find double the storage space than use those spacers - awful things

Seems more beekeepers are going plastic.... saves a lot of time and expense of messing around with old fashioned wooden frames and possibly Chinese beeswax contaminated foundation......
Any converts ?

Chons da

Seems more beekeepers are going plastic.... saves a lot of time and expense of messing around with old fashioned wooden frames and possibly Chinese beeswax contaminated foundation......
Any converts ?
Chons da

No - and I have no problems sourcing decent wax foundation either.

Don't know which to tick. I half make my frames up. Top bar, side bars and one bottom bar. When I need frames I add wax, the other bottom bar and the holding bar. Takes no time. To clean them I remove the same bottom bar and the holding bar. Easy
E

Latest posts

Back