Storing Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Good weather here today so decided to remove the super below the brood which the bees have over wintered on, once removed I have noticed it looks like they have started to store fondant in it(hard white balls falling out) does this indicate I need to remove the fondant? Hefting ok but as a newbee don't want to loose them so have aired on the side of caution with the fondant.
Obviously not opened the hive yet so not sure on brood size etc.

It's more likely to be crystallised honey from last year. I wouldn't expect bees to store fondant under the brood. Are they eating what you put on top? You might as well leave it till you first look in.

Sounds like it is honey crystals from the stores. Not come across fondant being stored.

PH

It's more likely to be crystallised honey from last year. I wouldn't expect bees to store fondant under the brood. Are they eating what you put on top? You might as well leave it till you first look in.

Yes still taking the fondant, makes sense it being crystallized honey, thanks Erichalfbee & PH

Good weather here today so decided to remove the super below the brood which the bees have over wintered on, once removed I have noticed it looks like they have started to store fondant in it(hard white balls falling out) does this indicate I need to remove the fondant? Hefting ok but as a newbee don't want to loose them so have aired on the side of caution with the fondant.
Obviously not opened the hive yet so not sure on brood size etc.

It could be crystalised honey....but bees will store fondant if they can. I've found it last year in the brood chamber and not under the brood but along side and over, same as they would honey. There has been a thread on this in the past but I couldn't find it.:)

Found it 28 august 2015 one of my posts. Replies confirmed my find.

Last edited:
Bees will store fondant - seen it a few times - in fact, a few years ago when I was still working at sea I had a colony that for various reasons had hardly any stores in the autumn - popped a kilo of fondant on just to keep them going and they hoovered it down - in a few days and carried on hoovering it up until they'd taken best part of half a box in a couple of weeks, then just settled down for the winter without needing anything until spring.
As for these little hard white balls - you sure it's fondant not rock hard mummified brood? or even mouldy pollen chucked out whilst the bees spring clean.

As for these little hard white balls - you sure it's fondant not rock hard mummified brood? or even mouldy pollen chucked out whilst the bees spring clean.

I will get a pict tomorrow and pat it up so you can see what they are, thanks

I could give you a reason based on experience for not doing that but hey do it! :D

Sorry but intrigue has beat me......... please expand on that E :thanks:

If you insist😁 beginners beware. Vaporised oxalic that has dropped as little white balls on the omf is not as sweet as sugar.

Good weather here today so decided to remove the super below the brood which the bees have over wintered on, once removed I have noticed it looks like they have started to store fondant in it(hard white balls falling out) does this indicate I need to remove the fondant?

If the little white balls dissolve in water then the chances are it's fondant. Crystallised honey (ivy?) will just soften.

Older chalkbrood mummies are likely to be grey or black, not white.

Latest posts

Back