Do I leave fondant or stores in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Happily, both my hive and the nuc seem to have come through the winter ok. Now the daffodils are out, along with celandines and a few early honest flowers, should I take the fondant out of the nuc or leave it in there? The hive hasn’t needed any as they had lots of stores, which presumably I now need to start to remove to make space for new frames?

The answer to your question is you need to go and look and inspect. You won’t know if they need the stores till you inspect or perhaps heft, pointless us guessing.
Yes if the hive or nuc are store bound remove some frames, have you inspected a good few of my nucs have already been moved up to full hives!

Now the daffodils are out, along with celandines and a few early honest flowers
Although good to see, these plants have no bearing on your management nor on colony development. It used to be said that a guide to opening a hive was at the opening of the flowering currant, but that is another factoid of no use.

Look instead inside the hive on a windless day of 10-12C to check for BIAS, assess stores and laying space.

take the fondant out of the nuc or leave it in there?
As Ian said, only you can determine that. Base your decision on stores on board (say, a total of one frame for seven days) and the rate of incoming nectar (look in the combs).

presumably I now need to start to remove to make space for new frames?
You give insufficient information to enable guidance to be given at this distance. How many frames of brood are in the full colony, and what is the sum of frames of stored honey? Lots of stores does not mean much, and as in the nuc, is nectar coming in?

A strong colony will need (roughly) the equivalent of two full frames, supposing it was unable to forage for seven days, at which point you would inspect and take action.

Do this soon, let us know the state of both colonies and we can then suggest a way forward.

Thank you for your very detailed replies, we’ve not yet had the weather for a proper inspection but I will do one as soon as the temperature is kind enough, hopefully in the next few days🙂… in terms of hefting both nuc and hive are still heavy so I know they’re ok, just need a proper look as you say.

If the sun is shining, take advantage of it, if it's windy see if you can act as a wind brake. I was transferring colonies a couple of days ago and had to wait for the gusts to die down before lifting the frames, the bees were relaxed. As long as it's sunny they will forgive quite a lot.

Ok managed a quick inspection after work, hive bees are bringing in pollen and they still have plenty of stores (at least 3 full frames both sides). Am thinking I need to put super on )the one I nadired over winter is unused so I’ll move that up,..or would I be better changing old frames for new in the BB?

Nuc bees were way down in the frames and v displeased at being disturbed 😳, they have built burr comb all over the place so couldn’t inspect properly as it needs sorting out on a less chilly day, but they have plenty of fondant left so seem fine.

UNLESS of course something I’ve said has you screaming at the screen because it’s not good and I don’t know that it’s not good - the perils of a new beek, not knowing exactly what you’re looking at!

Anyway thank you for the encouragement and me and the 🐝 will weather the weather next week and then see where we are…

Hi well done for getting in there, there’s often a long wait for the perfect day! Do you run your hives brood and a half, many try and avoid the half as it’s a pain. Perhaps think about a double brood if you think they’ll use it.
You don’t need to change your frames till they need it and with early inspections it’s a good chance to bin the odd crap ones. If you do have 3 frames of stores each side of brood I’d be inclined to perhaps remove a couple and replace with drawn or foundation. Giving the queen laying room is important not just adding supers above a qx….keep an eye though as there is a balance. In my area everything is flowering but bar the odd nice day it’s not great. Unless it improves expanding colonies will be chewing through stores. A few years ago we had a really wet May many had to feed and mine were running on fumes before the weather changed.

Latest posts

Back