storing 1-1 sugar syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuporter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi- Just wondered if I can store this in the freezer. I made some up but realise I dont need it yet. Otherwise - how long does it keep in the fridge? Thanks Nuala
ps there may already be the answer on the site- Im still searching.

I don't know if this helps, but last time I made some up I made it as 2:1, as I have never had it go off due to the higher sugar ratio, whereas I have found the odd mould patch floating on 1:1.

I have had some 2:1 made up in the shed for ages - some of it is over 12 months old and is fine.

You can then thin it down as required to 1:1.

I don't believe that you can store it at any strength. After about three days yeast spores start to multiply the spores are toxic to bees.

Add sugar 1 part to get 66% syrp. 1:1 syrup special gravity is 1,6.
1 kg sugar + 1 litre water = 1,6 litre

When using again add water to get what you want.

Last edited:
I don't believe that you can store it at any strength. After about three days yeast spores start to multiply the spores are toxic to bees.

I've not had a problem. I store it in clean (mineral water) bottles, fill to the brim to minimise air space, cap tightly, and keep in the dark (ish). The current bottle I am thinning down for nuc use is dated 03/11.

Last edited:
A few drops of HM's thymol mix ensures it does it begin to ferment.
Look at the sticky for this (might be in the adding thymol to autumn feed one, but you only add a few drops to preserve it)
Other wise will,start to ferment and you wllmseemblack gunge.

If the syrup has gotten hot enough (brought to boiling point) and kept sterile it will keep - just like jam does. it will also keep in the freezer. A frigde will slow down fermentation of course.

Sometimes it lasts, sometimes not - depends on the amount of yeasts you get in it.

I think the only thing you can do is use Hivemakers recipe or make it and use it straight away. I don't think it can be stored at any concentration. I also believe the yeast spores and the mould you get on old syrup are not the same thing I believe the yeast spores can not be seen by the naked eye. Have a look at " Fat bees skinny bees" its an Australian Government paper on feeding bees. Until proven otherwise I will not be risking feeding my bees with sugar syrup that has been stored for any length of time.

the specific gravity of 1:1 syrup will be at least 1.5 which is much too heavy for any yeast to start fermenting, i would say from my homebrewing experience

Freezener is too expencipe place to store sugar

why to spoil sugar with thymol WHY!

Add surag to syrup and it will stay ok. But it needs a tight cap that moisture does not absorb into syrup

when you write so, I can see that yu have made never home made jam. When I was child 60 y ago, berries were stored with sugar. It needed 50% sugar content. The we melted bee wax or parafin of the surfage to close air contact.

So simple.

And why sugar gets mold in feeder? - you keep feeder too long on hive. Syrup absorb wtar annd get mold.
Feed what bees take in 2 days and then take feeder away. Vain feeder keeps the hive cold.

the specific gravity of 1:1 syrup will be at least 1.5 which is much too heavy for any yeast to start fermenting, i would say from my homebrewing experience

Try it and look in after a week.

2:1 will keep fine, honest, The sugar content is way too high to allow fermentation. I have never had a long-term premixed bottle of 2:1 syrup go off.

Any open container will attract wild yeasts, but if your equipment and containers are sterile enough, you will not have a problem.

Forgot to mention you can also add some malic or ascorbic acid to the mix: this has the dual benefit of slowing if not eliminating bacterial growth (a well-known method used by the food processing industry) as well as lowering the ph of the sugar (ph approx 5 to 6) solution to make it closer to the ph of honey (ph approx 4).

Latest posts

Back