Stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having used leather gauntlet gloves last year, this year I want to use gloves that give me a better feel for things but also give me confidence. Can stings penetrate marigolds?

Stings have penetrated my marigolds but they do give more protection than not having gloves. I think it is because it is more difficult for the bees to sting through the gloves and it seems easier to get the stings out when they do.

Some times the gloves get stung but I do not because the gloves are a bit loose. I have small hands.

I Have not used thick gloves and cannot imagine trying to do delicate stuff with them on. Certainly my marigolds have helped me feel bees that I can't see when I am picking up frames etc.and have prevented me squashing bees.

Then, when you are confident with marigolds transfer to latex.

If you breed calmer bee's you will hardly need gloves. personally I am getting into AMM and they are so nice that I don't need gloves all the time or even a veil sometimes.

Mine are normally calm AMM, but today one went mad and bit its way through my veil! You never can tell with bees!

I use marigolds and latex ones over those.

The marigolds dont get so dirty then.

yes they can penetrate anything you use. except perhaps ski gloves with a large pair of latex gloves on top.

leather will attract stings - you can't easily remove pheromones.

I started with latex gloves so I don't know any different, I only tried once with my leather ones and they have been relegated to visitors wear only .. latex are so thin they allow you to 'feel' much better and as a result handling the frames is a lot less clumsy. A lot of the time they stick to propolis and they do tend to tear very easily ... I just keep going and I've never been stung. I'm not far away from bare hands half the time !

I think the calmer and gentler you are handling the bees the better they will behave so you need to be comfortable in the gloves and other PPE you wear ... and move slowly and deliberately.

I just hope your second hive is as tolerant as your first and aren't defensive little madams who can't wait for their weekly attack bee-smillie

I use the rubber style gloves, i did start off with latex gloves but stings to my hands cause them to really swell to the point i cant bend my fingers so in the interest of being able to drive I take a bit more precaution. One of my hives is also a right rowdy bunch of hooligans who if they are as 'asbo' like as they were in September come Spring, may end up with a new Queen!!!

I just hope your second hive is as tolerant as your first and aren't defensive little madams who can't wait for their weekly attack bee-smillie

So do I !!

Unfortunately, a fellow association member has three colonies of bees that regularly chase him back to his car that are kept in an apiary less than a mile away from my laid back, on drugs, little darlings ~ I'm living in mortal fear that one or more of his vile little sods gets their wicked way with a virgin from my split this spring !

You'll all have a good laugh if it happens ! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

He's reluctant to requeen as they are strong colonies and massive honey producers ...

:iagree:

Thinner gloves make you more careful when handling, and make it easier for you to be more careful, and consequently reduce stings.

If you are a coward like me you don't want to reduce stings but avoid them completely so I wear fairly thick Marigold-type with sewn gauntlets from T's. I have tried latex but once I receive a sting I lose confidence and become flustered, clumsy and defensive and so could easily squish the queen. Profound lack of moral fibre I know.:ohthedrama:

You need to get something written up to enforce it in an association apiary.

we do - Its is a bit of a delicate situation as the apiary was his originally - he is now the only association member allowed to keep his bees there permanently, it's just used as a temporary emergency stop over for everyone else, but he may take the hint as his hives are steadily creeping further away and down from the teaching area - into the darkest narrowest bit of the apiary!

Last edited:
I'm intolerant of latex (well, it makes my hands swell up). Very difficult to get non-latex gloves in a 'L' size. (Lots of the companies only do 'M'. Perhaps they think that only humans with smaller hands do washing up. Can't imagine why...) Bizarrely, the company that do 'L' size non-latex gloves are called BusyB**s. You fill in the asterisks.

Latest posts

Back