Stings and mean bee's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you open up a hive with no smoke at all you will still observe bees stuffing stores into them. So it's not an effect of the smoke, despite what the old books and beekeepers tell you about forest fires and preparing to escape with their stores if their home is on fire.

I think it's more likley to be a universal action upon their home (hive) being disturbed and the smoke from the smoker being a smokescreen for what is really happening

Wow - OK I shall try that.

You do whatever you feel comfortable with and i will do what i feel comfortable with.;)

Sounds like you need a spot of smoke ha ha but i'll give the smoke-free method and whirl and see what happens .

Last edited:
When you open up a hive with no smoke at all you will still observe bees stuffing stores into them. So it's not an effect of the smoke, despite what the old books and beekeepers tell you about forest fires and preparing to escape with their stores if their home is on fire.

:iagree:

Bees are constantly moving nectar and honey around the hive. I think we are just seeing them processing honey rather than reacting to smoke....

Blow on bees and they move out of the way in a similar way to when you smoke them but be warned, it doesnt work for everyone. I have seen folk try this and the bees didn't like it..... a bit like Millet's bees not liking smoke.
In my experience, bees tend to stay down off the frame tops a little longer if you use smoke but in general, I use a water spray. On occasion, it is handy to have smoke to clear bees out of the way when reassembling a stack of supers. Just be circumspect that you do not use too much smoke. I have tasted honey that would need to be labelled as "smoked" and I can't say i would be going back for seconds.

I think it's more likley to be a universal action upon their home (hive) being disturbed and the smoke from the smoker being a smokescreen for what is really happening
Can you be sure a bee is stuffing itself with stores, or is it stuffing a cell with stores ;)

I haven't read all the posts so apologies if repeating. The Issue with the illustrated gloves could be static as well as hooking the bee's feet.
I use a company called Just Gloves. Prices are reasonable for quality products and I buy enough to get free delivery

I get cheap and cheerful powdered latex for "per hive" inspections. Pull off and chuck so hands are clean and free of gunk and smell. I buy better quality for tougher tasks (green ones) but these are harder to get on especially if hands are sweaty. I also keep small bottle of talc to assist here. Once on a quick dip in my water bucket and towel dry. Yes I know there is an issue of smells/pheromones but I haven't experienced any adverse reactions.

They also do a version of "marigolds" that are better and cheaper for those Rottweiler hives or serious clean-ups

hope this helps

Regards

FB

Last edited:
I haven't read all the posts so apologies if repeating. The Issue with the illustrated gloves could be static as well as hooking the bee's feet.
I use a company called Just Gloves. Prices are reasonable for quality products and I buy enough to get free delivery

I get cheap and cheerful powdered latex for "per hive" inspections. Pull off and chuck so hands are clean and free of gunk and smell. I buy better quality for tougher tasks (green ones) but these are harder to get on especially if hands are sweaty. I also keep small bottle of talc to assist here. Once on a quick dip in my water bucket and towel dry. Yes I know there is an issue of smells/pheromones but I haven't experienced any adverse reactions.

They also do a version of "marigolds" that are better and cheaper for those Rottweiler hives or serious clean-ups

hope this helps

Regards

FB
If you're referring to the long cuff blue marigolds milking gloves, I heard they're discontinued. They're the ones I'm currently using and they're very good.

Gloves

I just splashed out a lot of money for some kid-leather beekeeping gloves from Thornes. I had previously been stung twice through rubber gloves. I felt very confident that they could not get through leather. Wrong again!! As I write I have a thumb like a fat sausage. I am going to use some rubber over-gloves leaving just the finger-tips protected by kid-leather. I will also try the Albas Oil as suggested by another poster.
This is until my re-queening takes effect. (The nasty piece of work that gave rise to these aggressive workers is now in that nectar-rich flower-meadow in the sky).

I just splashed out a lot of money for some kid-leather beekeeping gloves from Thornes. I had previously been stung twice through rubber gloves. I felt very confident that they could not get through leather. Wrong again!! As I write I have a thumb like a fat sausage. I am going to use some rubber over-gloves leaving just the finger-tips protected by kid-leather. I will also try the Albas Oil as suggested by another poster.
This is until my re-queening takes effect. (The nasty piece of work that gave rise to these aggressive workers is now in that nectar-rich flower-meadow in the sky).
I was thinking yesterday how we always blame the bees when they're "nasty". Fair enough, they may not be of a temperament suitable for beekeeping, but it's only a defence mechanism to our invasion of their nest site.

I was thinking yesterday how we always blame the bees when they're "nasty". Fair enough, they may not be of a temperament suitable for beekeeping, but it's only a defence mechanism to our invasion of their nest site.

Interesting observation. I am never quick to judge colony temperament and I prefer to forgive a few indiscretions and look for the reason. British weather comes to mind and especially now, when they are sitting under a pile of hard earned stores. I've just got home after feeding nucs in the pouring rain and had a few 'what's going on?' flyers and that was that. Would the full colonies react the same way? More to the point, would I blame them?
If you love your bees and treat them with gentle respect (something all creatures in our care deserve) they generally reward you with the privilege of looking through their home. Thank them, wish them well and move on to the next.

Thanks all.

Checked the remaining 7 frames today with latex and olbas. - 0 Stings:).

They were a little calmer from the start but where bumping me at the end a little.

I'm sure I'm not as swift and sure as I should be but a few more inspections without stings and I'm sure I'll be calmer.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Thanks all.

Checked the remaining 7 frames today with latex and olbas. - 0 Stings:).

They were a little calmer from the start but where bumping me at the end a little.

I'm sure I'm not as swift and sure as I should be but a few more inspections without stings and I'm sure I'll be calmer.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Well done .. so much more pleasant when you are NOT expecting stings rather than waiting for the next one ! Once you have experienced sting free beekeeping it boosts your confidence and your ability to handle them.

Inspections will get quicker and easier with experience ... I tend to make a bit of space by removing the dummy board and a frame or so of stores and then whip through the outer frames and just look at the brood frames ... all I'm looking for is evidence of sufficient stores, eggs and brood tell you that they are queenright and I look for any signs of disease ... queen hunting, unless you need to catch her, is a pretty pointless exercise.

Latest posts

Back