Stings and mean bee's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS_Smith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Stings and mean bee's

This is starting to be not very much fun.

Wondering how many times you get stung when doing inspections and if it's just me or if I simply have mean bee's.

Only had them about 5 Weeks and have done 4 hive inspections.

1st time, not stung
2nd time, stung three times
3rd time, stung twice - Jacket and smoker
today stung 4 times - Jacket and smoker and I only managed to get 3 frames out.

When I open the crown board there is a healthy buzz, I was wondering if they are maybe Q-? I see loads of capped brood but didn't get to see any lava or egss as I couldn't get past the third frame without bee's bouncing off me and offing themselves.

I started bee keeping this year, I have been stung 3 times;
Once at the club apiary, the bees were probably a bit annoyed as first time beeks were inspecting their hive and probably taking too much time.
Once when strimming around my hives with a petrol strimmer & no suit on, like a fool I strimmer right under the OMF, my fault, now I clip the grass by hand close to the hive and wear a suit.
Once when looking under the roof at the Perspex crown board, with no suit on, my fault again, as a lot of bees were flying.
Never been stung when inspecting my hives (probably done 15 inspections), with a suit, thin gloves & smoker in use.
Have you got anyone experienced who can inspect with you & tell you if it's bees or technique?

I think the bees are protecting the stores of food they have collected for winter
I was on a practical course this morning I got stung twice once on the lip and one though the glove
I only had the bees over two weeks now and I have been stung 3 times I hope they will cool down soon as they get less for winter

Stings and mean bee's

This is starting to be not very much fun.

You may have the bees from hell, we all get them from time to time.
A couple of thoughts...what type of gloves are you wearing? If wearing the thick cowhide types it's easy to miss a few stings that you don't feel. These stings are emitting alarm pheromones that incite other bees to join in "the attack" and you can get an exponentially spiraling out of control aggression from any hive driven by these stings.
Other point is how gently are you handling the hives? it can be easy to be a bit rough and shaky and they hate sudden jerks/ vibrations.

For what it's worth I use mechanics latex gloves....if they really start stinging through these....it's the hive from hell or I've jarred a "dodgy hive". But easy to change gloves when you move on to next hive and no aggressive pheromones from previous hive.

I know one other person close to me and hes also a new beek. Seems like it might be a good time to meet up.

I'm currrently using painters/builders glove like these:
http://tinyurl.com/ycj27nbl

I'm getting stung through them mainly. The positive side is that I can pull them up and the sting drops out.

For what it's worth I use mechanics latex gloves....if they really start stinging through these....

Why do you use latex gloves, do the bees simply not like them?

I think I'm being fairly swift and sure (at least to start with:). I'm placing the first two frames in a rest of the side of the hive so there is plenty of space inside. Maybe I should take a spare broad box to place the frames into so the devils arn't so earger to fly off the frames towards me.

Last edited:
I'm currrently using painters/builders glove like these:
http://tinyurl.com/ycj27nbl

Why do you use latex gloves, do the bees simply not like them?

Don't know them, but from your link look as though they have a slightly knitted textured surface that will enrage bees as their legs get caught. This may be just the picture.
Latex gloves, smooth and sensitive. Don't know about bees not liking them, but unless very aggressive hive they aren't bothered and it keeps all that propolis off you hands. Yes they will sting through them, but easy to remove sting and all pheromones from sting are gone which prevents further recruitment to the "stings pheremones".

If they are flying off the frames at you, suggest a cover cloth. Bit old fashioned but keeps them in the dark :)

As someone who has also come on this forum this year complaining of grumpy bees let me give you some advice; just wait. As you do more inspections you will get more confident in your handling of the bees and somehow things change and what you originally thought were mean and nasty bees start to become of less concern to you. As you start to bother less, so the bees appear to also bother less.

Having said that, I do now use a pair of black Marigolds with thin nitrile gloves over the top as my grumpy hive is still, er, grumpy, but they don't bother me any more.

Those builders gloves (I use them for gardening and DIY) are no good for beekeeping - the palms are OK but the backs are woven and a bee will sting between the weave. You need vinyl like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-of-10...var=440610205631&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

If you wish then use two pairs ... or a pair of marigolds underneath and the vinyl ones on top. Buy some Olbas Oil and before you start rub a few drops onto the top pair of gloves - the bees will move away from your hands and with two pairs on if you do get stung it will be very marginal. Throw away the top pair every time ... they are cheap as chips ... so there's no sting pheremones to start the stinging frenzy off ... if you are wearing the same pair of gloves at each inspection that could be part of the escalating problem.

There's plenty of past advice on here for handling agressive colonies so I won't repeat it all ...

Do a search for aggressive ....

Last edited:
I would also suggest getting experience of other people's/local association's bees. It will give you a yard stick to measure your bees by, especially if you don't have much experience of different colonies. Good luck and keep going! it does get easier (generally!) with experience

Great. Thanks all.

It's the gloves where I keep getting stung. Was wondering why they seemed to hang out on the back of them then sting me seconds latter with no seemly reason.

Hopefully the next visit will be enjoyable.

Just so happens I love the smell of olbas oil :).

Hi. SS-Smith

Don't worry. It's Very unlikely that have 'bees from hell'. It's more likely that You are receiving stings that won't happen when you have more experience and better protective gear. Hopefully, those stings will be helping you build immunity, so not just pain.

You have not given details of the history of your colony, your hive or inspection routine. Was it a swarm, or an established hive? Is that crown board on top of the brood box or is there a super? Do you use a smoker when inspecting? Anyhow, with all that brood it is unlikely that they are suddenly Q-. If your last inspection was recent, start beyond those 3 frames which you know are capped when looking for uncapped brood and eggs, perhaps you will meet queenie along the way.
Good luck and happy beekeeping.

P.S. I would not be inspecting so often at this time of the season. -But I am more confident that my hives are Q+!

Last edited:
Great. Thanks all.

It's the gloves where I keep getting stung. Was wondering why they seemed to hang out on the back of them then sting me seconds latter with no seemly reason.

Hopefully the next visit will be enjoyable.

Just so happens I love the smell of olbas oil :).
There are two main reasons for using thin nitrile gloves.

Hygiene - you can easily wash them in soda without taking them off (when inspecting multiple colonies), reducing transferral of disease.

Sensitivity - you can feel what you're doing. The easiest way to get yourself stung is to trap a bee with your fingers when you're handling a frame. With thick gloves or leather gauntlets you may be aggravating or squasing bees without realising it. The majority of stings I get are my own fault and usually occur if I'm rushing.

Our training apiary at our local association runs a two day course for beginners a few times a year. On the back of the training courses the novices get to come along every Monday evening for a season and learn from more experiences beekeepers. There is only so much you can learn on a two day course and I think the ongoing mentoring and practical experience is invaluable. Have a look and see what your local association offer. It's likely there's someone there that will be willing to look through your bees, if nothing else. It sounds like you're being stung more than is acceptable, but you can change that - don't let it put you off.

There are two main reasons for using thin nitrile gloves.

Hygiene - you can easily wash them in soda without taking them off (when inspecting multiple colonies), reducing transferral of disease.

Sensitivity - you can feel what you're doing. The easiest way to get yourself stung is to trap a bee with your fingers when you're handling a frame. With thick gloves or leather gauntlets you may be aggravating or squasing bees without realising it. The majority of stings I get are my own fault and usually occur if I'm rushing.

Our training apiary at our local association runs a two day course for beginners a few times a year. On the back of the training courses the novices get to come along every Monday evening for a season and learn from more experiences beekeepers. There is only so much you can learn on a two day course and I think the ongoing mentoring and practical experience is invaluable. Have a look and see what your local association offer. It's likely there's someone there that will be willing to look through your bees, if nothing else. It sounds like you're being stung more than is acceptable, but you can change that - don't let it put you off.

When using the thin Nitrile cloves make sure you avoid catching them on anything sharp or pointy otherwise you'll spend all your time putting a second/third.... pair on.

When using the thin Nitrile cloves make sure you avoid catching them on anything sharp or pointy otherwise you'll spend all your time putting a second/third.... pair on.
The type I use are close-fitting long-cuff milking gloves. They're quite strong but thin enough to allow you to keep enough sense of touch.

They're made by Marigold Industrial, but I think they've bee discontinued. I'm working my way through old stock until I need to find a new brand.

I think I had two gloves tear last year. None this year. There are some really thin examination gloves you can buy (which would probably tear), but I wouldn't bother with these as they tend to be short-cuff.
a4f6759c72b6448152f9c9d0f9e32a4b.jpg

When using the thin Nitrile cloves make sure you avoid catching them on anything sharp or pointy .

That would be the bee sting you need to avoid then :D
Sorry couldn't resist.

I use the mechanics long sleeved nitryl gloves as they are a little bit tougher then the really thin ones...and also more expensive...but re-usable if required.

If they're really bad and upsetting you, there is an article in the summer addition of the WBKA magazine on re-queening a bad tempered hive, if it's not too late for this year.
The PDF is available via the website.

I think a bit of scale is required here.

I have just requeened the nastiest hive I have had the misfortune to own.

They covered me from head to foot as soon as the CB came off, they stung they generated so much alarm pheromone my eyes were running. They dragged my veil dangerously close to my face to the point when I finally got the queen I had two brood boxes 20 yds apart and there was a stiff wind, I had to walk backwards to stop them reaching my face.

As for stings. At least a 100 a go on each of four visits to sort them out, including getting up my arms through the elasticated wrists. They ran they clumped they were frankly a bloody menace and for the first time ever I actually contemplated petrol.

So dear beginners that is the far end of the scale and I most sincerely hope you never find yourself there for the simple reason it is not fun it is a matter of determination and endurance.

The opposite end of the scale is the hive or apiary where the smoker is there but some how never used. The bees don't sting and sit politely on the frames waiting for you to put things back together and go away so they can get on with life. Fantasy?

Nope. They exist.

PH

The opposite end of the scale is the hive or apiary where the smoker is there but some how never used. The bees don't sting and sit politely on the frames waiting for you to put things back together and go away so they can get on with life. Fantasy?

Nope. They exist.

Famous last words no doubt but I think those are what I have started out with this year courtesy of ITLD.

I don't suppose we will ever know but it is interesting to me that bees can be selected to be docile towards fumbling beginner beekeepers like myself, yet they don't hesitate to sort wasps out.

Latest posts

Back