Still significant mite drop after OA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie-drippin

New Bee
Reaction score
Dear all

I’ve completed 4 treatments of vapourised OA spaced 5 days apart and I’m still seeing a significant mite drop (20-30 per colony).

Should I carry on treating with OA until the mite drop falls? Or switch to MAQS strips?

As always, thanks.

LD

Yes I’d give another blast….

I’ve had to give five vapes to my hives to get to a good situation. So go for it…

Dear all

I’ve completed 4 treatments of vapourised OA spaced 5 days apart and I’m still seeing a significant mite drop (20-30 per colony).

Should I carry on treating with OA until the mite drop falls? Or switch to MAQS strips?

As always, thanks.

LD
Yes keep going

You guys are worrying me. Lost a colony last winter so been accurate on treatment this summer. A couple of splits vaped this summer whilst capped brood was minimal. Apiguard treatment August/September. Very low Varroa drop on the OMF boards. My OA was left over from last year so although it apparently doesn’t go off I bought some more Apibioxal from Thornes. Vaped them again last week and varroa drop still in single figures.
I must be missing something?

Had fairly low numbers up until lately.

Today in one hive, I calculated 63 mites over 4 days. Roughly 16 a day.

I’m thinking I should treat?

I must be missing something?
Do remember that you need to vape three or four times at five day intervals. Are you doing that?
Edit
Sorry just spotted you used apiguard earlier then no need to use OAV.
You might just have a low load in your colonies.
I have one out of ten dropping significant numbers. The others in single figures

Do remember that you need to vape three or four times at five day intervals. Are you doing that?
Edit
Sorry just spotted you used apiguard earlier then no need to use OAV.
I have one out of ten dropping significant numbers. The others in single figures
Happy days

One of my colonies is thronged with bees and is dropping next to no mites.

Whereas the hive dropping significant numbers of mites isn’t near as big in bee numbers.

I’d have thought it would be the other way around.

Whereas the hive dropping significant numbers of mites isn’t near as big in bee numbers.

The ones dropping mites may already have been reduced in numbers or had their ability to maintain a larger population compromised by a significant mite population.

Well just treat them all
All mine are big colonies.

Had fairly low numbers up until lately.

Today in one hive, I calculated 63 mites over 4 days. Roughly 16 a day.

I’m thinking I should treat?
You're thinking right

Do you do the mite drop count after vaping OA you out the plastic board underneath straight after vaping? To also catch the mites that immediately drop and leave there for 24 hours?

Do you do the mite drop count after vaping OA you out the plastic board underneath straight after vaping? To also catch the mites that immediately drop and leave there for 24 hours?
The board should be underneath anyway. How else do you seal off the box? Yes you do a 24 hour count after vaping.

Latest posts

Back