still getting swarm calls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter's shed

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
collected yet another swarm yesterday, and have to say, it was the most enjoyable collection so far, nice calm bees, and looks like the homeowners have a wild nest in the tree in their garden, spoke to the husband who is liking the idea of having a bait hive added in the tree for future swarms

https://youtu.be/pnLihpTpS_g

How many is that, and what do you do with them all?

have lost count, I've kept five this year, but given away loads, I'm the swarm co-ordinator for Thurrock bee club, so members go on a list and get called, if no one else is available to collect then I do

collected yet another swarm yesterday, and have to say, it was the most enjoyable collection so far, nice calm bees, and looks like the homeowners have a wild nest in the tree in their garden, spoke to the husband who is liking the idea of having a bait hive added in the tree for future swarms

You've given me second idea today! I'll park a bait hive near the tall chimney breast to where I lost a good queen two weeks back. It's hopelessly high up and bees have nested there on and off for 15 years. So I might get her back yet! I've a spare nuc transporter that'll hold six frames. Would a good swarm be interested or would they be looking for something bigger?

Has to be said: last summer, just three months in to keeping bees, I had the opportunity to hive a swarm - they're doing well - and it was such a really special thing to do! When I first inspected them settled low down on a neighbour's tree I saw six bees doing waggle dance on the surface of them and thought, 'they could be off any minute! So rather than call for more experienced help I read up my notes from the beginners course I had just completed and followed the steps A_Z. Steep learning curve is good sometimes!

Very nice video. thanks:)

Heck I hadn't spotted the link! Great to see it. Must remember the trick with the frames of foundation if the situation is right. A nice touch was seeing the homeowners watching at a distance. Thanks from me too!

trick with the frames of foundation

If you picked up the queen and put her in the nuc the rest of the bees would have trooped in without having to catch them on the frames
Once they start walking in you can move the box a little so that you get a line of them. Folk like to see that :)

If you picked up the queen and put her in the nuc the rest of the bees would have trooped in without having to catch them on the frames
Once they start walking in you can move the box a little so that you get a line of them. Folk like to see that :)

My guess is that getting many of them on the frames sped up the whole process as the entrance to a nuc box is so small. The one swarm I have hived [into a nuc box] took more than three hours to get through that little entrance and when I had a look see as to why, I found that there were as many piled onto the inside of the front wall as the outside - whereas Dexter's swarm were all over the frames in the box for starters. I would say that's an advantage.

as I'm a night working pest controller, I wanted them in the box quickly, it was around 7pm, start work at 9pm and still had not eaten, putting the poly nuc upside down on top of them would have been simpler, but as said, the homeowners were watching and asking lots of questions, the little boy was studying bugs at school so wanted lots for them to see,

don't see why your bait hive/chimney idea won't work, worth a try

Great to watch the second firm too. I was chuffed that I spotted your other hive was queenless before you said it, from the way they were behaving.

the bees were acting like that, as I had just dumped around 80 bees out of a poly nuc, in front of the other hives, hoping they would beg their way into another hive, all hives are queenrite

Bait Hive Location

It might be better not to locate a bait hive close to an established colony. My choice would be at least 100 yards away. I have a feeling that a swarm has an urge to establish away from the parent colony. Scout bees will find a bait hive. I feel sure that swarms arriving at my bait hives could have traveled over 400 yards.

Bait Hive Location

It might be better not to locate a bait hive close to an established colony. My choice would be at least 100 yards away. I have a feeling that a swarm has an urge to establish away from the parent colony. Scout bees will find a bait hive. I feel sure that swarms arriving at my bait hives could have traveled over 400 yards.

My bait hive is about 80 yards away from the apiary, with various large buildings between the sites. There is another beek about half a mile to the South who doesn’t seem to keep on top of swarming as most of my incoming swarms are from the South. They either head for the bait hive or a spot in a hedge near to the apiary.

My guess is that getting many of them on the frames sped up the whole process as the entrance to a nuc box is so small. The one swarm I have hived [into a nuc box] took more than three hours to get through that little entrance and when I had a look see as to why, I found that there were as many piled onto the inside of the front wall as the outside - whereas Dexter's swarm were all over the frames in the box for starters. I would say that's an advantage.

Maybe, but in my experience even a large prime is through an entrance in fifteen minutes.
I wasn't criticising dexters just pointing out that you can grandstand in front of an audience....

Last edited:
Must remember the trick with the frames of foundation if the situation is right.

Coincidentally, I went fishing last night with an old brood comb on the end of a telescopic apple picker, (not a cherry picker, unfortunately!). The swarm was about 15' up and, as I try not to do ladders, I thought I'd try this method. Worked a treat - on the second attempt. Once HM was in the box I found I could retrieve most of the remainder of the swarm by shaking the cluster into the bag - that was more successful than I hoped, mainly as it was nearly dusk and the bees were less inclined to fly. Swarm now at the bottom of the garden and starting to orientate.

Bait Hive Location

How about other people's bees though? We had a prime swarm land 6 foot from our hives in brambles, a bait hive would have been easier!

Great vids, not sure I'd call it a lawn though, worse than mine! :D

Latest posts

Back