Still a newbie - need advice.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinnamon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my 2nd year beekeeping. To be honest, I've not done much "keeping" due to a house move and death in family and the rest of it. So my one hive stayed as one hive. I believe it swarmed as well when I was away with funeral etc in summer last year, as I see the tell-tale signs of empty queen cells.

This year I want to do a better job of it and possibly increase the hive number from one to two (and possibly more). But I feel like I lost my touch.

Here's how I left my POLY hive last October:
1- I used a poly feeder. I filled one side with heavy syrup and the other with fondant.
2 - Reduced the hive size to just the brood box and the poly miller feeder.
3- Left them well alone since.

I now live in the Scottish Borders (nr Heriot). The weather has been rather weird. It was glorious sunshine a couple of weeks back with 16 degrees C and the bees were flying in and out of the hive. Last week and this week is rather bitter cold, sleet, snow. But with the odd sunshine, out comes the bees. I'm highly encouraged to see them active. Strong black bees.

I still haven't opened the hive to check it, seeing how cold it has been. But seeing them as active as they are when they get a chance, I am wondering whether
- I should check the colony. And if so, full check or a quick peek to see how they're doing, any brood, any dead mice to clear etc?
- Add a super to give them more room but if I do, do I put QE in?
- Set up a bait hive in case they're doing too well and decide to move for bigger space. I just ordered some lemongrass oil, after reading the posts.

Today is about 7 degrees C but I see a few flying about when the sun comes back bright.

Thanks in advance with your insights.

No full check just a check for stores. Preferably by feeling the weight and at the worst just check the outside frames. If none then feed fondant. No super yet, definitely no queen excluder. The bait box will not help yet. Not swarming season yet.
Best left to get on with it. Try to lift one side of the hive gently each week to get a feel of the weight.....it is called hefting
E

Obvious and first answer check for stores. Most of the rest will become more obvious on your first inspection. Have you thought about a local club and making contact, Some have the odd beek who is willing to pop over for a little advice. Most important thing is to ensure theres enough feed in the short term though

Did you do any Varroa treatment in the autumn and winter? If not this will be a priority. Unless you have a fumigation device you will need to wait until it gets warmer and treat.
Follow others advice for the time being.

I am in the Borders too and have no intention of even thinking of opening up for a fortnight yet. Set the BBC to your town and look at the weather forecast. For me it's maxing at ten at best for the next 13 days. I am feeding fondant and will continue to do so for probably the next four weeks if not more.

PH

Thank you for all the advice.

I used to be a member of a BKA before moving here. And they were amazing bunch. I can't seem to find one around here, registered with SBKA. Maybe unofficial ones about...

Will check the feed as soon as it's not pouring it or blowing gales. I live in the middle of a pine forest and there had been a sea of snowdrops around. So hopefully it provided them with fresh forage. But yes, will check fondant and top up if all gone.

@jeff - I didn't do any varroa treatment last autumn, as there were negligible amount of mite drops on the white board. I'll stick a fresh one under and do a mite count.

@PH - I read that you do double brood box. Mine is only a single one. Last year I had brood and half. I didn't worry about them not having enough space but this year I wish I kept the brood+super setup. So the question is, would they use up all the available space with laying and not enough with storing food? Is that why you feed them fondant, as well as lack of forage?

@jeff - I didn't do any varroa treatment last autumn, as there were negligible amount of mite drops on the white board. I'll stick a fresh one under and do a mite count.

Do you put anything sticky on the board like vaseline ? The count is too unreliable if not as live mites will walk away.

I have no concerns about laying space at the moment at the temps we have and as I type the sleety rain is bouncing off the window.

I work double brood as my strain of bee needs the space for their brood nest.

PH

Do you put anything sticky on the board like vaseline ? The count is too unreliable if not as live mites will walk away.

The mite count calculator is based on the drop of dead mites, not live.
a sticky board is handy though as otherwise your dead mites just get blown away by the wind.

Oh good idea. I'll put a thin smear of vaseline. Crossing fingers the numbers are low...

PH- Yes, at the moment I hear gales blowing with icy rain hitting the window. It doesn't look like the temps will go beyond 8 degrees for the next 2 weeks.. at least gives me time to prep while they're tucked in.

Thanks again :)

Latest posts

Back