still a lot of dead bees on floor of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the guard off and scoop them out. Did you treat them and do the have enough food?

yes...treated and they're on 6-7 seams of bees so healthy numbers

just been a closed up entrance...mouse guards etc

when weather warms again ill clear them out...just wondered if people left bees to do that

probably because ive had mouse guards on and restricted entrance

when are they likely to clear these out?

With experience you will find some clean all the dead out from the floors and some don't.
But mouse guards and restricted entrances don't help

yes...treated and they're on 6-7 seams of bees so healthy numbers

just been a closed up entrance...mouse guards etc

when weather warms again ill clear them out...just wondered if people left bees to do that

I scoop them out with a stick if there are lots of them and change floors every years.

If you scoop then wear a veil, they can be really quick coming at you!
E

Dead bees on hive floor

In the past I have used a long paint roller arm ( minus the roller)to check and draw out any dead bees and debris. It is long enough to reach most of the floor area. Can even be jiggled in where the entrance block is in place and has a 10 cm entrance gap. (I say jiggled cos I couldn't spell manoeuvred):

I scoop them out with a stick if there are lots of them and change floors every years.

There would be some on here that think changing your floors every spring is wrong , I'm not one of them I think it's a damn good idea to do so .

I agree with scooping them with something but as Enrico said wear a Vail .

Last edited:
Mine will be on for another 3 weeks, in my location

i took mine off because im on the narrow entrance plus mouse guard and a lot of pollen was dropping

weve had 20 degrees and although its cooling down again (as expected) its still 12 degrees etc

so, took them off

Removed nadirs from hives at one apiary on Tuesday - all full width underfloor entrances, one solid floor with narrow 9mm high by 20mm entrance, no mouse guard,only on floor out of 17 had any dead bees on it (no mould either, never is)

i took mine off because im on the narrow entrance plus mouse guard and a lot of pollen was dropping

weve had 20 degrees and although its cooling down again (as expected) its still 12 degrees etc

so, took them off
They are now talking about snow on monday due to storm Freya. As long as it's not "Beast from the East" the sequel.

Removed nadirs from hives at one apiary on Tuesday - all full width underfloor entrances, one solid floor with narrow 9mm high by 20mm entrance, no mouse guard,only on floor out of 17 had any dead bees on it (no mould either, never is)

Any nectar going in yet ? I think I need some of them underfloor entrances , I'll pm my email for plans is that ok.
My mouse guards/entrance blocks are removable I can slid them out the way when the traffics busy.

Last edited:
Any nectar going in yet ? I think I need some of them underfloor entrances , I'll pm my email for plans is that ok.
My mouse guards/entrance blocks are removable I can slid them out the way when the traffics busy.

Found a wee bit of fresh nectar being stored in one hive (from where, I know not, willow far from opening in that area)
Yes, PM me, I'll pass the drawings etc on to you.

Them underfloor entrances are good Mark but try a few tunnel entrances also on your original floors.. they do the exact same job but you only need to use one piece of wood..

Found a wee bit of fresh nectar being stored in one hive (from where, I know not, willow far from opening in that area)
Yes, PM me, I'll pass the drawings etc on to you.
Thanks I will Cheers.
Them underfloor entrances are good Mark but try a few tunnel entrances also on your original floors.. they do the exact same job but you only need to use one piece of wood..

I've seen pictures on here somewhere Steve were they yours?.
I'm itching to look in my hives but good job I'm not next week's looking frosty at night

Latest posts

Back