Sterilising poly hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Coleman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I love my poly hives, three full size colonies & one nuc overwintered, all out and about over the last couple of weeks in some force, and they seem to be at it earlier and much more vigorously than my neighbour on the next allotment who has wooden nationals.
But sterilising isnt easy - I've read about immersing them in bleach, but you need a big container and a lot of bleach to get a 14x12 brood box in. Anyone got any better ideas - I wondered about painting on thick bleach then hosing off?

Hi Andy,
I use a shallow plastic trough from the garden centre for putting grow bags on (I think)and do one side at the time. A bit of a bother and some slushing involved. Hey ho!

Sterilising Poly Hives

After taking all the proper precautions you could mix up the correct bleach solution and put it into a pressure spray. You could then spray the hves completely, scrub them if you wish then thouroughly rinse using a hose pipe afterwards. We used this method for sterilising my fathers greenhouse many years ago without any adverse effects.

May not suit everyone but worked for me

Do mine with a blow torch, easy!

But then, they are cedar. :rofl:

Hi Andy,
I use a shallow plastic trough from the garden centre for putting grow bags on (I think)and do one side at the time. A bit of a bother and some slushing involved. Hey ho!

You can find 600mm square x70cm deep gravel/drip/hydroponics trays for under a tenner (plus delivery if not stocked locally). Brand names include Garland and Scan.
That is big enough to soak one side at a time. Even of a 14x12.
I'm going to be getting a few to replace the "tidy trays" from T's sale a year ago ... which are just a fraction too shallow for this job. But excellent for other jobs, which the bigger ones should be as well.

One of the above mentioned trays, a bucket of bleach solution and a scrubbing brush, easy.
Is there any real need to submerge them?

One of the above mentioned trays, a bucket of bleach solution and a scrubbing brush, easy.
Is there any real need to submerge them?

Supposed to soak for about 20 minutes (which would actually be temperature dependant - if cold allow much longer).
Simple to soak one side at a time, and turn to a different side whenever you are passing (after 20 minutes or so).

For tray suppliers try the following, it's 100mm deep.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20228/Oven-Rack-Soaking-Tray

Also if you have a farm supplies near buy look into Dairy Hypoclorite, it's twice as strong as domestic bleach so will need extra dilution but is very much cheaper than domestic stuff. We use it on our drive patio etc. to clear the green layer off.

Tim.

... What is 20 minutes based on? Surely less time with a stronger solution.

Not necessarily "stronger means shorter".

To quote from NBU (Beebase) FAQ/Fact Sheet No 32 "Plastic Hives"
Sodium hypochlorite is present at a concentration of about 3% in domestic bleach. Research has shown that immersion for twenty minutes in a solution of 0.5% sodium hypochlorite kills American foulbrood spores and other bacteria. In this case you therefore need to make a solution of one part of household bleach to six parts of water. Before doing so check the container label, as you may need to adjust the ratio. It is essential that bacterial spores are in direct contact with the solution, so any items must be thoroughly clean. After treatment components should be thoroughly rinsed in clean water.

The suggestion of allowing more time to compensate for temperatures below 'standard' (20C) is mine, but I know it to be reasonable Chemistry to at least double the allowed time to compensate for a 10C temperature drop, and believe it also to be reasonable Biochemistry.

Best practice would be to soak/scrub/rotate with Washing Soda (ie give it a good clean) before doing the bleach 'disinfection' soak.

For tray suppliers try the following, it's 100mm deep.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20228/Oven-Rack-Soaking-Tray

Also if you have a farm supplies near buy look into Dairy Hypoclorite, it's twice as strong as domestic bleach so will need extra dilution but is very much cheaper than domestic stuff. We use it on our drive patio etc. to clear the green layer off.

Tim.

Its actually much stronger than that (I use it everyday in my job) a cup full to a gallon of water is best. It would be my choice as it blitzs everything but domestic bleach is ok and Milton which is also a bleach is used to sterilize baby bottles, so perfectly safe as long as the precautions are kept to. Remember that it must not be mixed with washing up liquid as this causes chlorine gas to be given off. Aluminium utensils turn black with contact and splashes on clothes will be bleached.

Research has shown that immersion for twenty minutes in a solution of 0.5% sodium hypochlorite kills American foulbrood spores and other bacteria
Pretty meaningless, saying what works without explaining what doesn't. Has it shown that scrubbing with a stronger solution doesn't? Spraying with Cillit Bang will probably achieve the same.

We use a deep plastic storage box so it only needs one rotation . .. And a piece of concrete to weigh it down. We use the dairy cleaner diluting it allowing for 11% concentration

I have files full of results from my weekly bacterial swabs that actually prove that sodium hypochlorite solution kills germs better than any other product, just has to be used wisely.

There is an error in that BeeBase article. To get from 3% to 0.5% solution you would mix one part bleach with FIVE parts of water (not six as stated in the article.

Is it essential to sterilise every year? I was hoping to use my polynuc as a bait hive soon and the smell of other bees is bound to help...

Is it essential to sterilise every year? I was hoping to use my polynuc as a bait hive soon and the smell of other bees is bound to help...
No.
When you put out a bait hive, containing some old comb, think about the visitors. Sterilising would be a waste of time

Latest posts

Back