Steam Wax Extractor - Any good ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent results far quicker and easier than solar cleans frames up a treat just do it in the winter not on warm days when bees are flying!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Norfolk Before you decide

Thornes sell a metal lid with walpaper stripper and a matching metal floor with a mesh screen the kit also includes an eke

Anyway you have to use your own broodbox but you just put the combs in the brood box put the box on the screened floor stick the lid and the eke on the top.
Attach the walpaper stripper plug it in with bucket under the outlet on the floor wax comes out .

Get rid of water and rubbish from bucket put wax back through the system again and you have some fairly clean wax

It;s a fairly good method but smelly and as einsteinagogo mentioned it really attracts the bees so it's best done at night when they are not around

I also find that a super works better for super frames, it does not really matter what you use super or brood box, but I do find, that it works best on a smaller area, as the air/steam get's keeps it's heat longer, I think because it's a smaller area to heat up, and melts the comb quicker, sometimes the cooling effect of the wax on the metal floor, causes the wax to start to set, so I remove the steamer metal part after 30-60 mins, and then just put on the eke. eBay ones are cheap, compared to Ts!

also do it somewhere like gravel drive, or put down tarp/polythene, do not do it on your lovely paved patio or drive!

I made my own and it does a great job

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

screw fix sell a wallpaper steamer for £20.00 You could then use a big bucket with lid, put hole in side for steam hose, fix a strainer in base and have a hole to run off melted wax.
Am think of making one this way myself.

Sorry didn't see the reply

I did post some photos a few years ago but probably all gone with the clean up job

we use an old 14x12 brood box , poke the wall paper steamer hose in through a feeder crown board ( Circular hole type), place the lot on a gravel tray with a couple of bricks to keep the hive clear of the melted wax, add twelve frames , I might add an old OMF floor under the brood to strain the wax of cocoons

Bought myself one in eBay too but not like the OP's - metal lid with hose connector, eke, wooden floor, metal insert with spout and suspended metal mesh floor. £45. Don't do it where the bees can find it, I ended up with a bucket of wax, bees, wasps and a huge hornet!

Got a good tip at the honey show - filter the wax through a jay cloth tied onto the end of a tin can with the ends removed.

we use an old 14x12 brood box , poke the wall paper steamer hose in through a feeder crown board ( Circular hole type), place the lot on a gravel tray with a couple of bricks to keep the hive clear of the melted wax, add twelve frames , I might add an old OMF floor under the brood to strain the wax of cocoons

Thanks, I couldn't quite get the gravel bit. Is it to allow the water to run off ?

Thanks for all the replies guys & gals.

Last edited:
Just ordered a screwfix one - will report progress - I've got lots of old BS brood comb - hope it's not been all eaten by wax moth.

A had one similar for a few years. It did a good job. I could fit up to 20 super frames in it which was a vast improvement on the nice Th**rnes one I had which would only take about 5 or 6.
The only problem I ever had was a warped lid that was quite an effort to snap on properly when cold. Easier when hot as long as wearing good gloves.

Sounds like a job for a Payns Sale 14x12 poly brood box and a very basic homemade Celotex roof.
I'm sure the extra insulation would only help the process!

Given the light weight of the thing, one could easily make a mini hive stand plus 'travel screen' for the base, and stand that in your big plantpot tray, with a drain-to-bucket arrangement ... hmmm.

My hot air gun (used very delicately) is useful for "cleaning down" wax that has solidified in the wrong place. I wonder if a hairdryer (for those that need such things) might be enough.

I use those trays to stand my stacks of supers on while waiting to be extracted, in my honey room

Craig

Back