Stealing Queen bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the daily star and news, hmmm. Don 't often see those three words in the same sentence
Where have we heard this story before? Sounds like the usual story of the three hive 'expert' trying to find an excuse for a failed queen.
In other news - not a mention of these widescale 'queen bee thefts' from the BFA

Bee colony theft has been going on for some time ... hive theft is often reported on here - queen theft appears to be a fairly new (and questionable) practice. Thieves, generally, will want to be in and out quickly, stealing hives at night from locations that are reasonably accessible by a suitable vehicle. Whilst not wishing to sound too sceptical I'm trying to think what it would be like trying to find a queen, in the dark, in a big productive colony, how long will that take ? ... and where the benefit lies to the thief ? £40 resale value for a queen ... or if they are going to use them ... all the effort of starting up a new colony and growing it ?

If they have the bottle to steal a queen then I would have thought they would have more sense and would take the whole lot ! I'm afraid I'm with JBM ... sounds to me as though it's failing queens to me.

I do believe the reported 135 Hive thefts figures though. I know one beekeeper locally who lost 8 production colonies in one incident - thousands of pounds of lost bees and kit and even more from the lost honey harvest. I rather think the vast majority of hive thefts probably go unreported.

Drones are being used for rural crime. Some farmers have had them appear and fly into barns, usually looking for machinery which is then stolen a short while later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're used to locate apiaries and then steal hives. Google maps satellite view is another threat if your colonies are in the open.

Drones are being used for rural crime. Some farmers have had them appear and fly into barns, usually looking for machinery which is then stolen a short while later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're used to locate apiaries and then steal hives. Google maps satellite view is another threat if your colonies are in the open.
Use of drones, fair enough - we all know it happens (in fact, we have a fundraising clay pigeon shoot later on this summer and I'm thinking of adding a 'drone-shot' category) But all this fairy tale bullshine about queen stealing... :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back