Starting Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swarming happens. You can do whatever you want to delay it, and the bees might co-operate for a while, but in the end, they will swarm. Best to accept this, and get them swarm on your terms, not theirs. Sometimes they will insist on swarming on their terms, such is the life of a bee keeper.

And what are your plans for the incarcerated drones in this set up?

exactly, seems a lazy approach to me to trap Q and drones, just check your bees every week and AS when needed.

yes that may stop mated Q leaving but virgins will get out in the end - if you want to stress a hive then that is the way to do it

imho as always

thanks for all your help and sorry for all questions... i am starting to read a book at the minute

Hi Tindam.

You appear to be very concerned about swarms. It really is unavoidable. Even with the best swarm 'prevention' measure in place, bees have a natural instinct to reproduce and this is the means to expansion. Sometimes they will still swarm even with measures in place. Some of your suggested swarm control measures would be very counterproductive and at the least would upset your bees! Your questions are reasonable but show a lack of very basic knowledge that might predispose you to more serious problems if you were to take on bees without better preparation.

Your decision to start reading will serve you well (good books are referenced around this forum).

I would recommend that you start by understanding the life cycle of the bee (development of Queen, Drone and Worker), colony expansion, development of queen cells and the natural desire to swarm, re-establishment of the new colony and the ongoing development of the old, etc. Then see how the beekeeper works with the bees to manage their activities.

You will no doubt make rapid progress with a good book, and perhaps a good mentor.

Hi Tindam.
I would recommend that you start by understanding the life cycle of the bee (development of Queen, Drone and Worker), colony expansion, development of queen cells and the natural desire to swarm, re-establishment of the new colony and the ongoing development of the old, etc. Then see how the beekeeper works with the bees to manage their activities.

A phrase I have had drummed into me is- 'push the bees in the direction they want to go'. Good advice, and with a bit more practice, I will learn to implement it.

Latest posts

Back