Stainless Extractors and rust

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
We bought an new extractor, expensive.

Only second use and discovered a rust problem around the inside! :mad:

The rust is appearing at the join about 10mm up from the bottom sloping side where it has been welded (very badly).

So something for those buying to check, check and keep and eye on.

Our supplier is aware and we have sent photographs and expect a replacement or refund.

After cleaning do you wipe it dry or leave to dry on own, as we often get rust marks on s/s cutlery left to dry in our dishwasher, think it's water on the surface that is possibly contaminated with iron. Scotchbrite and a dab of OA seems to remove okay but be careful.

Russ

That looks like oxidation at the weld points, or perhaps poor cleaning before/after welding.

It's not what you expect of stainless steel food grade material.

Some so-called stainless steel isn't!

Whose manufacture was it please.

LEGA s.r.l. COSTRUZIONI APISTICHE

Bought last July.

Supplier has been notified and photos sent. He says he's sent photos to the manufacturer for their comment.

We await the answer with bated breath :cool: :)

We will update.

Last edited:
Does that come away when rubbed? I have seen SS like that when the wire temp was too high and it scorches for lack of a better word.

PH

stainless extractor (rust)

hello BBG,

Looking at your photo I would say the fabricator has not pickled the material after welding or polished the surface .it looks very much like coking on the surface bad workmanship ...perhaps you could show a few more photos ???

At the prices they are charging I'd expect the quality to be a lot better ;)

No PH unfortunately.

There is a groove into the stainless steel where you see that dark bit (there are more around the circumference) I cut my finger while cleaning it, which is what brought it to my attention more so than the discolouration.

I can't get a better photograph due to its position but here's a bigger one

The split runs horizontally and is long the brown mark starting to the right and just below the two upright spot welds.

Also unimpressed with the gouges (not by us) in the stainless steel in general. On yachts, if the stainless is damaged it will rust.

Last edited:
Food quality SS should not rust even in salty water, what is the spot welds holding on the outside and is that SS, if not the metal has come through the weld and rusted

Try again. BTW, there are four or five of these 'splits' one is 5 or so inches long, with sharp edges and we're now on stop with extraction while the supplier talks to the manufacturer????

For some odd reason there was no "Send it back and we'll get you another by return as we know it will cause disruption for you at this time of the year."

Food quality SS should not rust even in salty water, what is the spot welds holding on the outside and is that SS, if not the metal has come through the weld and rusted

Spot welds on the sides are holding the brackets for the legs.

The spot welds on the bottom of the extractor also support brackets underneath (don't know what they're for)

Spot welds also look a bit rusty :cuss:

Without bright light (or cutting yourself on the sharp edges as I did) these splits are easily missed.

I would take no messing and get a refund obviously this is not fit for use so you are well within your consumer rights, there is no fix for this only fit for the scrap yard don't wait for the manufacturer to get back to him that could take forever, you need your extractor now not in a few weeks time

stainless extractor (rust)

looks like blueing of the stainless .the welding has been carried out ok but not been clean up ,its not surface rust .use a st/steel wire brush .

Your argument is with the seller, not the manufacturer. You are entitled to a full and immediate refund as goods are not fit for purpose regardless of the excuse the manufacturer gave to the wholesaler/retailer.

If you bought it from a UK supplier via a mail or internet order distance selling regulations apply unless you are running a business. If it was from a non-UK supplier or you are running a business I'm not sure. Check the supplier's weasel words (terms and conditions) and insist on returning it - at their expense as it's not fit for purpose - for a full refund. Don't bother with a replacement from the same manufacturer - it'll be the same.

Added: Under DSR there is no need to return the goods. You only need to make them available for collection.

Last edited:
looks like blueing of the stainless .the welding has been carried out ok but not been clean up ,its not surface rust .use a st/steel wire brush .

Yes, looks right on the blueing

There is a sharp edge to every 'split', which is actually where the sheet of stainless has been made cylindrical and then welded to the base of the extractor.

We think the welding is not good and doesn't cover the 'join' leaving sharp edges in places that can harbour bacteria.

With this doubt it's out of service in any event.

For foodstuffs it is essential there are smooth rounded surfaces that are easily cleaned.

Your argument is with the seller, not the manufacturer. You are entitled to a full and immediate refund as goods are not fit for purpose regardless of the excuse the manufacturer gave to the wholesaler/retailer.

If you bought it from a UK supplier via a mail or internet order distance selling regulations apply unless you are running a business. If it was from a non-UK supplier or you are running a business I'm not sure. Check the supplier's weasel words (terms and conditions) and insist on returning it - at their expense as it's not fit for purpose - for a full refund. Don't bother with a replacement from the same manufacturer - it'll be the same.

Added: Under DSR there is no need to return the goods. You only need to make them available for collection.

Looks good but we will wait on the seller who though brusque, is getting back to us after the hols.

Interesting that it doesn't apply if you're running a business - why is that??

My understanding is that DSR applies to business to consumer transactions, but not business to business transactions.

Why? Not a clue, though it would seem to me that businesses can be consumers too (e.g. tools and equipment bought for the business and not for resale).

Latest posts

Back