Spring feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi finman, i always enjoy your posts and have learnt alot as a newbee from them. Can i ask what your weather temperatures are and when going into and out of winter.

"...pale primroses / That die unmarried"

1) There are no pollen in nature

“ … pale primroses
That die unmarried"

- The Winter’s Tale, Act IV, Scene IV

Some have suggested that Shakespeare was lamenting the lack of pollinators available in early spring when the common primrose is in flower.

img_0510.jpg

Hi finman, i always enjoy your posts and have learnt alot as a newbee from them. Can i ask what your weather temperatures are and when going into and out of winter.

Last week I had in this district -10C. Today temp is rare. It is +6C. Bees are inside hives. Seemingly they do not have need to cleansing flight.

Next cleansing fligts are at the first half of March. During that time bees do not come out.

Willows start to bloom first of May, when ground ice melts.. Sometimes willows start to bloom in the middle of April, but weathers are so cold that bees cannot pick pollen from plants.

During last 3 winters our weather has been warm. We did not have much snow, 10-30 cm.

Climatic shange is real..... But sun angle is the same every year. Sun melts
however at same time on my cottage yard. It is sun angle what heats places. First sun melts vertical snow banks, then horizontal surfaces and finally it warms up the grounds. At the end of April we do not have snow in southern Finland.
.Weather in my place now

http://ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/saa/kouvola/anjala?forecast=daily

Last edited:
1) There are no pollen in nature

“ … pale primroses
That die unmarried"

- The Winter’s Tale, Act IV, Scene IV

Some have suggested that Shakespeare was lamenting the lack of pollinators available in early spring when the common primrose is in flower.

img_0510.jpg

I have bought with 400 euros irradiated pollen and 45 kg dry yeast 3 €/kg. Then soya flour HP 100 one sack. All for next spring.

Now bees are tightly in winter cluster, and they may be in peace up to second week of April.

Last edited:
Beware of using copyright photos. Some like Getty are known to take legal action.

Pollen patties not popular here it seems .... what's wrong with building early to hit the osr running

Difficult to be popular because you did not have got irradiated pollen for 10 years in Europe. And pollen patty does not work without pollen. But beeks feed such material which does not give any help in build up.

Pollen patty/ protein feeding is most popular in USA and in Australia, I think. In my country it is very rare.

Last edited:
Pollen patties not popular here it seems .... what's wrong with building early to hit the osr running

Keeping a couple of over-wintered nucs as early spring brood donors to your production hives is a good way to get the population up for that eary spring flow. It also sorts out early congestion in the nucs.

.... what's wrong with building early to hit the osr running

Nothing providing the weather is good, which more often it isn't in mid March, when the OSR is in flower in many places these days, was better years ago when it flowered later.

Keeping a couple of over-wintered nucs as early spring brood donors to your production hives is a good way to get the population up for that eary spring flow. It also sorts out early congestion in the nucs.

I support nucs with big hives' brood frames, that I get nucs to crow to productive hives. Pollen patty is great in this job..

Last edited:
that I get nucs to crow to productive hives.

I know you meant grow...but getting nucs to crow is a verb in English meaning "express great pride or triumph, especially in a tone of gloating satisfaction".
Made me laugh.

I know you meant grow...but getting nucs to crow is a verb in English meaning "express great pride or triumph, especially in a tone of gloating satisfaction".
Made me laugh.

OH dear.... it is good to laugh for nothing. If you wait for a real reason, it may take years...

Last edited:
Back