Spraying in spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie in Ash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have just come back from my bees and had a good long chat to a delighted ‘landlord’ who says my bees have been working his field of squash like demons. He was also thrilled with the 1lb of honey I gave him. So that’s good news all round. But what he said next about the neighbouring Apple growers in the fields next door to his farm alarmed me no end. He says they spray insecticide in spring and all the bumblebees die! Don’t think he has a close relationship with the Apple grower to say the least, so hard to know exactly what they are spraying and when.

I said if I were informed of any spraying, I could take precautions like locking my bees up that day. But no joy on that one it seems. Farmers have neighbour disputes as well it seems.

Then later on the way home I thought... weren’t they authorities going to ban the spraying of insecticide that kills bees??? Does anyone know.

I have just come back from my bees and had a good long chat to a delighted ‘landlord’ who says my bees have been working his field of squash like demons. He was also thrilled with the 1lb of honey I gave him. So that’s good news all round. But what he said next about the neighbouring Apple growers in the fields next door to his farm alarmed me no end. He says they spray insecticide in spring and all the bumblebees die! Don’t think he has a close relationship with the Apple grower to say the least, so hard to know exactly what they are spraying and when.

I said if I were informed of any spraying, I could take precautions like locking my bees up that day. But no joy on that one it seems. Farmers have neighbour disputes as well it seems.

Then later on the way home I thought... weren’t they authorities going to ban the spraying of insecticide that kills bees??? Does anyone know.

Hi Julie
They are still allowed to used pyrethroid based insecticides as most organophosphate based ones have been withdrawn from market, its sometimes a Pesticide (insecticide/fungicide) mix for apple scab/leaf miner/and aphids but most of it is done when they are just coming into bud.

Probably the best bet is to go and speak to the orchard owner, just because they don't get on doesn't mean you don't have to, explain to him about the bees and that if he can help you protect them, they will be doing him a service as well, and an offer of some free honey at the end of the year should he play nicely.

Latest posts

Back