Splitting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest it was another beekeeper that did suggest it to me which has now frazzled my mind in what to do, I can see what he means about 2 hives is better than 1 for winter etc but it does worry me a little about splitting my my hive

I can see what he means about 2 hives is better than 1 for winter

Not really, he's obviously just chanting the now accepted mantra. Two hives can die out just as easily as one. Two weak/mediocre ones even easier. You're much better off putting your efforts into making sure your existing one goes into winter as ready and fit as you can make it.

These are all very fair comments. Ignore my two is better than one comment!!!!!! I didn't give it enough thought!
E

In your position last year Jake, I opted for the build up one big colony strategy. Obviously nothing is foolproof, but it worked for me.

My colony was BIG, on double brood by the end of the summer, and I even got one super of honey. I fed them in autumn til the brood boxes were full (using the thymol recipe, to help against nosema), and treated them for varroa (OA vaporisation). They had a good thick layer of insulation in a vent free roof, and they got another varroa treatment at New Year. Basically, I did all that I could to ensure they had the best chance.

I might have had my fingers crossed most of the winter, and bitten my nails down to the quick, but they were fine. More than fine in fact, because they took off like a rocket this spring. I had a super of spring honey by the end of May, then I had to do an artificial swarm in early June, so that I now have two colonies, and both are filling up supers with more honey that I know what to do with at the moment.

I'm always a naturally cautious person, so this approach suited me best, but I'd definitely do the same in the same position again. I think expecting a beginner in their first year to get a successful split created and nice and strong going into the winter is always going to be tougher than just really concentrating on doing the best for the bees you already have.

I'm always a naturally cautious person, so this approach suited me best, but I'd definitely do the same in the same position again. I think expecting a beginner in their first year to get a successful split created and nice and strong going into the winter is always going to be tougher than just really concentrating on doing the best for the bees you already have.

Is ther no way to "like" posts on this forum? I like two of yours already. ;)

My experience is simple.
It is now July so any splits have at best three months to establish before winter.
The weather forecast is variable at best so to count on good weather all the time is gambling.
Bad weather may mean a split will struggle to grow bee numbers : yes you can feed but if the weather is poor and the bees cannot fly, the hive may not expand .

Weak hives are targetted by wasps and other bees.
Weak hives are vulnerable during winter.. and you want strong hives for next year's honey crop.

Consequently I just don't split hives after June. (Others with better forage/weather may do otherwise.)

I learned the above by bitter experience.

Latest posts

Back