Splitting hive & introducing new queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
Next week I'm expecting delivery of a mated Buckfast queen by the post. Should be Wednesday.

How would people recommend I move forward with the split? Do it now to make the nuc hopelessly queenless before introduction.... but then what if the queen arrived a week late?!

Or make the nuc up on the day the queen arrived & before any queen cells can be built?

I'm introducing into a hive of local mongrel bees who are generally well behaved. Weather expected to be mid 30's & hives are in the sun all pm till early evening... so hot in the sun.

wait for the queen to arrive then make up a nuc with a couple of frames of emerging brood, and at least a frame of empty comb then a good shake (two frames of bees, or even easier if you get two or three frames of bees from the super) and either a frame of stores or (some would say better) a feeder with a few litres of 1:1 syrup. stuff some fresh grass in the entrance to block the bees in for a good few hours/a day. then immediately after they've settled, put in the queen in her cage with the candy protected for 24 hours before the bees can eat it out.

wait for the queen to arrive then make up a nuc with a couple of frames of emerging brood, and at least a frame of empty comb then a good shake (two frames of bees, or even easier if you get two or three frames of bees from the super) and either a frame of stores or (some would say better) a feeder with a few litres of 1:1 syrup. stuff some fresh grass in the entrance to block the bees in for a good few hours/a day. then immediately after they've settled, put in the queen in her cage with the candy protected for 24 hours before the bees can eat it out.
Sounds like a plan - many thanks.

Back