Splitting Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
This is produce my first year beekeeping and I have one hive. The bees started to make queen cells some time ago but they were left uncapped. Yesterday I noticed a closed queen cell which contained a lava. I detryed it but I am sure they will produce another. I have a spare hive and want to splt the colony into two. What is the best method? All advice gratefully received.

realistically you're leaving it a bit late - any split now will need to get queen emerged and mated (upto 6 weeks - ie end of august) and still have time to build up for winter (ie by mid-late october tops).

if you split and buy a new mated queen for the Q- half then you are in with a chance.

OK - just wanted to prevent swarming - so should i continue to destroy the queen cells.

If you have a sealed queen cell they have most likely swarmed unless it is a supercedure cell. Did you see any eggs?

I am pretty sure they havent swarmed but I could be wrong. There was a lava in the cell. I think the other cells are empty but I will double check tomorrow.

you need to look for eggs in the worker cells that will tell you if the queen is still there or not

The Queen is definitely still there - I have seen her. There are lots of brood and the hive look healthy in my very limited experience. There are are young emerging from cells too.

Latest posts

Back