spit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi next year if i do a split on my strong nationle hive will i still get a honey harvist:cheers2:;););)not worthynot worthy

Hardly.

But if you split it at late summer, when yield period is almost over, you get two good hives for winter and a normal yield.

When you have only one hive, you need combs. The hive use 6 kg honey to draw one box of foundations..

If they draw 4 boxes, it needs 25 kg honey from your yield.

But it depends, how good are your pastures and how much you have other beekeepers to share the pastures.

That is an impossible question to give an accurate answer to as there are so many factors that affect the quantity of honey at any one time.

Do a vertical A/S and run as two queen system. remove one queen to a nuc for the main flow and then finally split the colony in two after the flow, reuniting spare HM with half.

I split my national hive in March/April (I forget when), as swarm control, into 2 hives.

I got approx 45lb honey off each last year.

As I wanted 2 hives going forward I did an almost "even split", ensuring only 1 sealed QC was moved into the new hive (along almost half the BIAS and stores).

I may try the vertical A/S technique on one hive this season as swarm control (to try it out), but I would personally advocate an even split into another national, it will probably yield less honey over all, but it makes manipulating each hive much much easier.

For my other hive I will be using a poly nuc for swarm control.

Last edited:
My main goal is a yield. Nucs are easy to make. That is not a problem.

I rear my each hive as big as they grow. i split them never before swarming because it kills the build up. Swarming will be ahead but it is another question.

If you split 2 box hive into 2 pieces, it takes over 2 months that it is capable to forage surplus and then yield summer is gone, or it is much more shorter than normal.

When yield begins, I join hives to big units that it has big muscles to hit on pastures.

If you split normal hive into two, you have played your cards.

Big colonies build up fast in Spring .
If colony is small before yield, I do not rear it. I join it to get yield.

I just tell that I do controversy most things what is told above.

OKnot worthynot worthynot worthy ill probably do it after the honey flow and region2 i didn't receive a pm

My main goal is a yield. Nucs are easy to make. That is not a problem.

I rear my each hive as big as they grow. i split them never before swarming because it kills the build up. Swarming will be ahead but it is another question.

If you split 2 box hive into 2 pieces, it takes over 2 months that it is capable to forage surplus and then yield summer is gone, or it is much more shorter than normal.

When yield begins, I join hives to big units that it has big muscles to hit on pastures.

If you split normal hive into two, you have played your cards.

Big colonies build up fast in Spring .
If colony is small before yield, I do not rear it. I join it to get yield.

I just tell that I do controversy most things what is told above.

:iagree:

Latest posts

Back