Sparrows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
Has any one had trouble with sparrows taking their bees? This is the second year I've got a flock of the little buggers bothering the hives..Have tried a few things to keep them away, Even had a cat on a leash in the apiary, just joking. Any ideas please.

Not quite the same as you, We had problems with a female blackbird picking bees of the entrance off one of the Nucs last year, she got a taste for drones and was standing on the landing board, and sitting in-front of the hive, jumping up and picking them off as they landed, we had to put a frame in front, just far enough away to stop her using it as a perch, but close enough to make her feel uncomfortable to jump up by the hive. you can use mesh as long as it got holes large enough so the bees can fly through it but the sparrows cant?
If we ever get Asian hornets we will all be playing this game!

Last edited:
Has any one had trouble with sparrows taking their bees? This is the second year I've got a flock of the little buggers bothering the hives..Have tried a few things to keep them away, Even had a cat on a leash in the apiary, just joking. Any ideas please.

We've got loads too. I find that if the bird feeders are kept topped up they don't bother the bees (as much).

You is lucky. It's years since we've seen sparrows in our garden. Lots of dunnocks, pigeons and goldfinches tho'

I find hanging old CD's on some fishing line helps as they turn in the wind the reflected pattern onto the ground tends to scare the birds off.

The sparrows aren’t going to make a dent on bee population I had a Queen fail to mate that maybe I could blame on them but still I’d rather see them around than not

The sparrows aren’t going to make a dent on bee population I had a Queen fail to mate that maybe I could blame on them but still I’d rather see them around than not

:iagree:

A handful of bees to the sparrows is not going to make a dent in the colony.
I have loads of sparrows, and the odd blackbird darting around the home hives - it's nice to see them.

:iagree:

A handful of bees to the sparrows is not going to make a dent in the colony.
I have loads of sparrows, and the odd blackbird darting around the home hives - it's nice to see them.

Totally agree love seeing them and don’t begrudge them a few bees here and there. Also feed them in the garden seed feeder 1/2 coconut shells and fat balls hung from the tree in the front garden. There is a constant flow of sparrows all day along with many other species

Here in the smoke one of the silver linings of this virus business is the birdsong. Less ambient noise for sure, certainly your awareness is better tuned, but you wonder how much the birds are celebrating reduced human activity.

PS You can retweet this.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Put some feeders up with suitable food that sparrows will eat..simples .

Tried that. The pigeons knocked the sparrows off the feeders, then bashed at the feeder until the seeds fell on the ground, then landed and ate the seeds. Don't like pigeons much.

Tried that. The pigeons knocked the sparrows off the feeders, then bashed at the feeder until the seeds fell on the ground, then landed and ate the seeds. Don't like pigeons much.

try fat balls - spuggies love them

Latest posts

Back