Some sort of hornet I think.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
My wife called me into the garden this evening; she was watching the bees stream in from a busy day. On the Hive was what I expect was some kind of hornet. I beehive it was about 1 ¼ inches my wife thought more like 1 ½ to 1 ¾ I only got a quick glimpse of it whilst swatting at it and missing.. It had a wide defined yellow stripe running down from top of its head in-between its eyes down towards the Jaw. Large triangular wings. Top of the abdomen was a wide orange band then yellow bands broken by slimmer brown band. It was a nice looking thing but I’m sorry next time I won’t miss. Any Idea’s to what this was.

did it look like this
picture.php

My wife called me into the garden this evening; she was watching the bees stream in from a busy day. On the Hive was what I expect was some kind of hornet. I beehive it was about 1 ¼ inches my wife thought more like 1 ½ to 1 ¾ I only got a quick glimpse of it whilst swatting at it and missing.. It had a wide defined yellow stripe running down from top of its head in-between its eyes down towards the Jaw. Large triangular wings. Top of the abdomen was a wide orange band then yellow bands broken by slimmer brown band. It was a nice looking thing but I’m sorry next time I won’t miss. Any Idea’s to what this was.
Quite likely. There have been quite a few around this year. They won't harm your bees, even if they manage to enter the hive - unlikely, as those I have seen buzzing around the entrance to my hive are soon sent packing.

They mimic a hornet, allowing them to enter a hornet's nest to lay their eggs. When they hatch, the larvae feed on detritus in the nest. It's a symbiotic relationship, not a parasitic one. The larvae get protection and food. The hornets get a live-in cleaner. Neat.

Thank everyone it's put my mind at rest and I will not be patrolling the haves all day tomorrow.

Saw a (European) hornet about six feet from a nuc I have temporarily in my garden. I saw it from about 15ft away, as I'd never seen one near my bees or in my garden, so it stood out like a sore thumb.

It flew about a bit, landed on the front, had a squint at the entrance and then left empty mandibled... Still, no doubt it will be back.

Also had a couple of dragon or damsel flies in the garden. Couldn't tell which as I only saw them for a few seconds. Never seen them before as we're not near any water. Strange?

Or a Syrphid fly look it up in google and let me know as I think I have lots round by me at the moment and keen to see if you have them as well

Definitely a hornet, not a hover fly of any kind. It's behaviour was predatory and I knew it when I saw it.

As for the damsel/dragonfly, I never saw it at rest, only briefly on the wing.

Latest posts

Back