Some of my bees clustered in the roof space then war broke out!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a contact feeder like that still leaves heaps of honey / syrup covering the cappings. With a rapid feeder, after removing the inverted cup, you can simply dump the cappings in which gives the bees direct access up the central hole. After a few days you then end up with almost perfectly cleaned dry wax flakes that need very little washing before further use.

I don't agree. Have you tried both?? I have the rapid feeders too, but the contact feeders are best and get most out of the cappings. With the rapid feeders it takes a lot longer (no gravity helping) and sometimes you have to keep stirring the cappings, otherwise they don't get to the stuff at the bottom, and the worst thing is that in a rapid feeder after you take cup off for them to go burrowing in the cappings, bees die.:angelsad2:

I've now tried both contact and a rapid feeder (Maismore type) - must admit I find the contact far easier, and the bees seem pretty happy with them as well

I use both contact and rapid + Ashforth.
It is written (can't remember where) that contact feeders replicate a nectar flow and encourage brood rearing. I tried this earlier in the year and it did. Take a large margarine tub with you and tip into this until it stops dripping. No mess around the hive.

At this time of year I use rapid or Ashforth.

Latest posts

Back