Some dead bees laden with pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And so there were three bans! all in quick succession:icon_204-2:

Why not kick someone when they can't answer back! Bees won't cluster under solid floored hives of course, but they do and can under open mesh, and calling some a muppet is not the best way to help a cause. Long winter ahead!
no worries i will wait till hes back.

I think its time to say a bit,
I like reading some of these topics as a bit of look at the lighter side of this job its easy to wade in with advice but some times things are best run there course.
yes i do like a little ribbing and a bit of Michael taking, but i think i can at least say i have done the hard yards in time and exams etc.
its has been said that the more experienced should contribute more well maybe, but some advice given may not be taken well.
i am a little miffed at myself for one post ( whilst looking through red mist) i used the word 'wrong' one of my philosophies is that there is very little is wrong and cant be learned from, often whilst teaching both beginners and advanced i often tell them to some times think outside of the box.
i dont think beginners should be treated as stupid and i see too much advice given with out options.
why i picked this post to rattle on you ask an example 'bee wont cluster under a solid floor' never say never in beekeeping of course they will.
They cluster outside often in large numbers some times my hives can be covered this is often in high summer and the foraging forced has no place in the hive, bees will also stay out at night on limes etc waiting for first light to carry on and return.

as for calling the chap a muppet he was well over the top for my small comment and the laughing icons well thats a story it was as tame as icould get.

i will post a reply to a thread about bees not taking feed as i would see it and deal with.

My Sweeenty polys are little more than a single bee space depth entrance. That's why I don't need to use mouseguards, or even muppetguards.

A small number of bees failing to make it back into the hive is just one of those things that happens. A bit of a shame but not worth losing sleep over. You can't wait around every day just in case you need to rescue a few, especially in out apiaries.

{QUOTE=oliver90owner] Get the meesage, 23 poster (probably soon to increase your post count by an impressive 4% +). [/QUOTE]

Post count isn't everything. I don't suppose that RAB would recognise a Master Beekeeper if one banged him on the nose. He certainly seems to be travelling in the right direction for it though.

When will some learn that correct grammer does not make a beekeeper.
This is why some educated people pay to have work done and not do it them selves, some are naturals at bee keeping with little education, look to nature where bees make the coloneys small entrances in walls ect, try following nature not teaching nature purly to make your self look good.
another cat fight :hairpull:

They cluster outside often in large numbers some times my hives can be covered this is often in high summer and the foraging forced has no place in the hive, bees will also stay out at night on limes etc waiting for first light to carry on and return.

Bees do and can cluster anywhere on a hive, most of the beekeepers on this site have open mesh, not many on solid floor. This time of year you won't find many clusters outside the hive, but with an open mesh it would be more likely this time of year, maybe they get warmth still from the main hive.
This is not a study as I have only had bees clustering under an open mesh hive this time of year, not often, but more of a reason and an opinion and idea.

Last edited:
I'd like to ask a question about siting a hive after reading about putting a hive in the shadows.

I was going to place a hive in an open bay, to explain more it has been created in the gap between two sheds. It's about 15ft wide and 8ft deep & high with a concrete base. There is a roof over the "gap" and a back wall offering great shelter from three sides but little direct sunlight until the late afternoon. I thought that it would make a great spot for a couple of hives as it offered good protection from wind and rain but reading about hives being in the shadow I am now wondering if I am making a good choice.
Any pleasant comments/opinions gratefully received. :thanks:

Best to start a new thread, but it would be best to site the hive to catch the morning sun on the entrance and have sun most of the day, ie south facing, I have main facing south, west and east, but not north.

Bees do and can cluster anywhere on a hive, most of the beekeepers on this site have open mesh, not many on solid floor. This time of year you won't find many clusters outside the hive, but with an open mesh it would be more likely this time of year, maybe they get warmth still from the main hive.
This is not a study as I have only had bees clustering under an open mesh hive this time of year, not often, but more of a reason and an opinion and idea.
don't really think i need telling what bees do at this time of year or any other time thanks
if bees are clustering outside at this time of year then their future as breeding stock should be in doubt or that's just one among many reasons OMF are not used any where on my bee farm

I use a second mesh floor under my OMF and that effectively stops clustering through out the year - in winter I use a variable size cardboard insert on this second mesh if it gets really cold to help the ladies keep warm. That and at least 1" reticel and underfloor foam on the CB to maintain the warmth (and NO matchsticks!!)
P.

"last winter they were all tucked up by now"

OP the winter cluster isn't some magically static state that bees enter in autumn then leave in spring. it's a dynamic situation dependent upon ambient temps. Bees will be out and about even in the depths of winter if temps are suitable for flying (mine are back and forth to out neighbour's Loquat trees evne when snow is 2m deep on the ground.

AS per other posts - the bees probably just a bit too tired/cool to make it in. or caught out by a sudden shower?

I use a second mesh floor under my OMF and that effectively stops clustering through out the year - in winter I use a variable size cardboard insert on this second mesh if it gets really cold to help the ladies keep warm. That and at least 1" reticel and underfloor foam on the CB to maintain the warmth (and NO matchsticks!!)
P.

It's implicit, but let me ask; does a second OMF also help prevent undershooters under the hive?

A landing board should help prevent?

(mine are back and forth to out neighbour's Loquat trees evne when snow is 2m deep on the ground.

I don't see mine out in the snow except legs up on top of it but they will be out in force every sunny opportunity on the Mahonia that is just starting to flower

The handful of bees exhausted and chilled hitting the ground at the entrance of the hive at this time of year is dwarfed by the amount of bees lost looking for water or something that is not there away from the hive.

TTLTB - undershooters? do you mean them that cluster underneath the OMF - in which case Yes -that is why I do the second floor - I found that the bees were clustering underneath. BTW it also stops wasps attacking from that angle.
P.

Latest posts

Back