Solid Sugar Solution

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi Guys, a put a sugar solution (2:1) on last weekend and just checked and it is solid, is that normal? if not what can I do to reconstitute it. I thought of making up another solution and pouring it on top thinking the heat would melt the bottom layer.

Advise please

Hi Guys, a put a sugar solution (2:1) on last weekend and just checked and it is solid, is that normal? if not what can I do to reconstitute it. I thought of making up another solution and pouring it on top thinking the heat would melt the bottom layer.

Advise please

I never had that but then again, not that much experience. if you were using a rapid feeder, it is not unthinkable that the solution cristalised, cristals sunk to the bottom and the bees licked up the saturated syrup on top. only thing to do is ad water do dissolve sugar cristals as adding 2:1 syrup will only make your new syrup to cristalize.

I am using a Plastic Rapid Feeder so the bees can only get to the syrup that runs into upturned cup that they climb down so I guess there is nothing there although it is full of bees.

I am using a Plastic Rapid Feeder so the bees can only get to the syrup that runs into upturned cup that they climb down so I guess there is nothing there although it is full of bees.

they will eat solid sugar as well. how I think it has happend is sugar crystals will be on the bottom and syrup on top so they will lick that until only solid sugar is left in the feeder.

You could add water on top, and hope they'll use it, or you could take it away and warm it with some more water to dissolve it again.

It's getting quite cool overnight so it may have chilled more than you thought it would, have you got insulation above the feeder?

I don't have any insulation over the feeder, guess I will put some in now. I will try some putting some water in and see what happens, if not will remove and put some new in and then insulate it.

Thanks

Hi Guys, a put a sugar solution (2:1) on last weekend and just checked and it is solid, is that normal?

It happens when people think that "2:1" in metric units is the right proportion.
"2:1" actually refers to pounds and pints.
For metric units, it is 60:40 (sugar:water) … really!

Last year I was mis-sold a small quantity of stuff "just like Ambrosia". It set. Not like Ambrosia.

First thing though is - do your bees need feeding?
Check and see (and feel the weight) before assuming they "need" feeding.

IF you conclude that feeding is still necessary, I'd remove (dump even) some/most/all of the crystallised stuff. Sugar is cheap, and I'll bet you had to damn near boil it to get it all to dissolve - risking HMF formation.

Not long now (another couple of weeks?) before it gets too cold for feeding sugar syrup. After that, the bees will still take Ambrosia-type invert syrups for a while - if they are still short. Any still light but not taking Ambrosia would then get fondant …

I'm thinking of putting in some fondant now just to help me sleep at night and stop worrying. Any harm in this? I reckon they'll take it if they need it and if not it can wait until it is needed.

I fed them some syrup in a rapid feeder last week and they gobbled it up. Greed or need?

I too also fed them some syrup in a rapid feeder last week and they took it all. Stopped feeding as the weather has picked up again and they are all out bringing back pollen. My hive is in my back garden so I monitor it daily as the weather can change soooo quick.

Check to see what your bees need.

"Heft" - and its not too late to look inside.
You need to understand the state of the stores before it gets too late to feed.

It happens when people think that "2:1" in metric units is the right proportion.
"2:1" actually refers to pounds and pints.
For metric units, it is 60:40 (sugar:water) … really!

Last year I was mis-sold a small quantity of stuff "just like Ambrosia". It set. Not like Ambrosia.

First thing though is - do your bees need feeding?
Check and see (and feel the weight) before assuming they "need" feeding.

IF you conclude that feeding is still necessary, I'd remove (dump even) some/most/all of the crystallised stuff. Sugar is cheap, and I'll bet you had to damn near boil it to get it all to dissolve - risking HMF formation.

To avoid the risk of HMF formation when making up 2:1 syrup use warm water only. I use 450/500ml of cold water adding to this 200ml of just off the boil water from the kettle. Add this to 1kg of white sugar in a 2litre PET bottle. Put the cap on and shake thoroughly then shake again a bit later, repeating until the sugar has all dissolved. Leave to stand and use the next day, adding some Hivemakers recipe if desired. I keep a dry funnel to pour the sugar into the PET bottle and a cheap graduated cooks kitchen jug for the water.
Works for me :)

I'm thinking of putting in some fondant now just to help me sleep at night and stop worrying.

Please............This is a family forum..

Back