Snowdrops/crocus/hazel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I just got back from my annual snow fest and was amazed to see the changes in my garden in just over a week.

My early snowdrop (Elwesii) is just about to flower, early yellow crocus are showing colour and my cobnut catkins look as if they are about to drop their pollen.

What's happening in the rest of the country with regards to these early beauties? Anyone got anything in full flower?

Cazza

Just been reading about Snowdrops... apparently the nectar is secreted by the petals in Snowdrops rather than the more normal base of the flower. I expect you all knew that anyway..
Cazza

had snowdrops since before xmas. crocuses for about a week. have seen some daffs that have actually gone over so must have been in flower a while. loads of catkins on bushes and trees.

beekeeping has made me look at my local enviornment really closely, never used to look that closely before. Its really amazing watching whats going on.

Snowdrops fully out here, Long Catkins on the side of the motorway and I did see a couple of flowers on a Forsythia hedge last week!
Blowing a hooly now and forecast cold this weekend.

have snowdrops just about to burst, daffs likewise, but have had wild primroses in the front hedge for a couple of weeks
(and still have flowers on the fuchsia from last year !)

Daphne is scenting the garden, snowdrops just appearing.... the Groundhog is still in deep hibernation... OMG is HE going to be grumpy on 2nd February.....!!!

I saw some Hazel with catkins the other day but other than that everything is still fast asleep, including the bees:(

Snowdrops,Aconite and a few Crocuses.
There are a few Hazel catkins out in a sheltered sunny spot and I have seen the odd Dandelion and Buttercup :rolleyes:
The white Hellebores are in full flower in the garden too.

Snowdrops, lots of crocus and hazel. The hazel catkins shower pollen when tapped but no bees - it is just too cold.
The willow catkins are just showing a sliver of silver and the camelia has been in flower since Christmas.

All we need is some warmth so the bees can use this bounty.

Had a look around for some snowdrops this afternoon, only managed to find a couple of small white buds trying to emerge. Daffodils are coming on though they are now between 2-3" high.

Crocus, snow-drop, daffs, camelias x 3, Mock orange, bridal wreath in bud, Rose, Fushia, strawberry & hellebores...

we've got Calendula in flower in the front garden, and geraniums still flowering in hanging baskets!!

Found some tulips in flower in a cardboard box,been in flower since the 1960's,compliments of persil....plastic ones.

They will be of as much use to the honey bees as the daffodils.

Last edited:
Calendular flowering here right through from last summer and still going. Was surpsrised to find dandelion clocks last week though. They must have begun early if they are already making seeds.

Latest posts

Back