Snelgrove

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badger65

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Could I have your thoughts.
On Wednesday I split a hive with a Snelgrove board. Old box on top. New box underneath with new foundation the queen on a frame with brood and eggs. Today they tried to swarm but returned within 20 mins as the queen is clipped. Do you think it was because it was a full box of foundation apart from the one frame of brood. Queen is certainly in the bottom box and there were no QC.

Only one frame brood with queen ? She cant lay in foundation and most nurse bees are up top. What are you aiming to achieve ?

i have to say i am a fan of snelgrove and have been using his methods for many years never had any problems,
if a frame of unsealed brood is left with the queen and all the flying bees they are unlikely to abandon the unsealed brood, well thats the theory

Where queen cells present when you did the manipulations?
If so should be method 2 and queen in top box for 3 or 4 days before moving her downstairs.

Thanks for your replies. I think the problem is there were a few eggs on the frame below. I will check the status today.

No queen cells. I think they didn't like the fact that the box was full of foundation. I did a raid on a few hives for drawn foundation and dropped in a frame of capped brood. I found the queen under the hive and popped her back in.

Thank Murox this is the one I use. Eyeman, I find that document a big hard going. The link from Murox is a quick read.

Latest posts

Back