Smoking Meat - anyone an expert?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

region2

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
Just bought myself a Bradley Hot & Cold Smoker on eBay (2nd hand but not used) - does anyone use one on here? I need some pointers to get me started...

Thanks

R2

have a look here:-

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/

they have recipes, and their own forum.

Alternatively you could contact springs smoked salmon near henfield or weild smokery at flimwell see if they will let u go watch what they do.

Last edited:
I had an ABU one when I lived in Stockholm... used hickory or oak wood chippings.. great for smoking sausages! if that is any help !

We have a smoker on our BBQ. As icanhopit says, hickory, oak, we've used mesquite and applewood too.
Soak the woodchips first, and get the smoker going before you add the meat or fish.

Just bought myself a Bradley Hot & Cold Smoker on eBay (2nd hand but not used) - does anyone use one on here? I need some pointers to get me started...

Most important thing to understand is that it is what the americans call a "smoker" and as such intended for the type of 'hot smoking' that they call "BBQ" - this is fairly 'low and slow' cooking.

The Bradley needs modification/extension to do what we in the UK call "cold smoking". That is how (cold) "smoked salmon" and smoked cheese is made -- relying on the smoke being below 30C, ideally well below.

Smoking (for example) salmon (cold) involves hours of smoking, which is expensive with Bradley pucks.
You can find aluminium disk blanks that can be inserted in the stack so that perhaps only one in three gives smoke - thus you can run it for three times as long on the same number of pucks.
It is possible - but far from simple - to cut wood discs, to use as pucks.
For proper cold smoking, you need to insert some dwell time for cooling between the smoke generator (in unhooks easily) and the chamber. A decent length of aluminium ducting should do nicely.
But the Bradley will do "hot-smoked" salmon very controllably.

To learn about UK-style smoking, get Erlandson's (cheap, excellent, little paperback) book "Home Smoking and Curing".
The internet will tell you more than you want to know about US "BBQ" ... opinions on 'Q' are more diverse and entrenched than even beeks are used to!

For home (UK-style) cold smoking, the Pro-Q cold smoke generator is bl**dy brilliant. With fine and dry sawdust (important that - sieve and oven can be helpful with homemade sawdust) it will smoulder away for 8 hours unattended - which is much harder to achieve than you might expect! You could even use one of them as the generator, while employing the Bradley as its chamber ... just pop it in the bottom of the Bradley 'oven'.

// ADDED Pro-Q, made in Cornwall... ! http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, especially Itma. I thought the Bradley was both a cold and hot smoker as it has a separate element in the bottom for hot smoking and the briquettes are effectively cooked on a small hotplate at the bottom to produce the smoke. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and the fun will begin!

R2

... I thought the Bradley was both a cold and hot smoker as it has a separate element in the bottom for hot smoking and the briquettes are effectively cooked on a small hotplate at the bottom to produce the smoke. ...

Unless you have a very cold day, the puck-heater will warm up the chamber ...

Strongest recommendation though is Erlandson's book. A well-grounded starting point. No padding, slim, affordable and wise. (Even if he does do his salt concentrations in a distinctly old-school way ... )

Erlandson book ordered (eBay!) on your recommendation - thanks.

Ali blanks ordered too - good idea!

R2

hi i bought a bradley smoker a couple of years ago as a butcher i smoke all my shops bacon (took the gold medal in a national butchers competition) all you have to remember is to salt your meat or fish before putting in your smoker hot smoked mackeral cold smoked salmon fantastic as is smoked venison and smoked duck mmmm if you need any advise pm me

hi i bought a bradley smoker a couple of years ago as a butcher i smoke all my shops bacon (took the gold medal in a national butchers competition) all you have to remember is to salt your meat or fish before putting in your smoker hot smoked mackeral cold smoked salmon fantastic as is smoked venison and smoked duck mmmm if you need any advise pm me
Thanks Stephen. Just realised a Uni mate shoots things and lives about 5 miles away so smoked venison is defintely on the books!

R2

Latest posts

Back