Smokey honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apilife. I wore two pairs of surgical gloves over my usual while handling the stuff and just flicked it away when removing.

Kaz. I found that I was 'conditioned' to discourage bees from my hands, shaking here and there to dislodge them but I realised that quite often, they were only being inquisitive (lazy blighters should have been out foraging but maybe it was their tea break).

I make a point now of letting them bimble about on my (thin nitrile) gloved hands, even encouraging some to crawl up from the alighting board after an inspection. Providing they are not in a fractious mood, I find that just watching them examining the propolis and other beehive goodies on my gloves is somehow hypnotic!

On a couple of occasions, feeling very brave, I have looked for an isolated, contented bee and allowed her on to my bare hand, with the utmost care not to annoy her of course. I haven't been stung yet as a result (but I don't think I would want too many like this)! I would never have thought I would be doing this earlier on in the year (and only now, knowing that I don't generally react badly (so far) to stings). This is me, being brave and/ or stupid as something of a calculated risk - don't try this at home, etc. However, I always make sure that I am veiled up.

Film footage of beekeepers with no gloves seems more plausible than it used to (but no, that is definitely not for me)!

So far, bee and beek, at peace with the world!

Apilife. I wore two pairs of surgical gloves over my usual while handling the stuff and just flicked it away when removing.
Ah!, never used it LOL.
I was just checking that you weren't referring to Bayvoral /Apistan strips as they are pretty well useless in this area !

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back