Smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always put some fresh grass into the top of the smoker, after it's been lit. It does cool down the smoke and seems to slow down the rate of burning too.

I also try to put some lavender stems in with the dry fuel. I've no idea if it makes a difference.

Shredded cardboard useded as packing martial from a certen bee supplier

Found some of the dried out wood spoken about early in the thread . In the hollow of an Oak . Burns gently for hours .

Before that I tried the compressed cotton waste from 'forns' . Its a beggar to get going but will get me through 40 hives without having to relight or mess about with it .
Bee tobacco also supplied by the above is revolting stuff , smells like Players no 6 .( For those old enough to remember).
G

What is the best way of drying out old teabags and how many do you use in a smoker at one time?

Started with chipped pine cones but felt like I had smoked 20 woodbines after each inspection so reverted to well rotted wood this year on PH advice, much better and the old smoker does not tar up so quick

been told this too;

also give yourself a puff on the hand to feel how hot it can be and imagine that coming at you through the living room ceiling suddenly :eek:

:iamwithstupid:

Back