Smokeless bee smokers, do they work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Asking for a friend...
We have a member running 100 plus hives. He is a non-smoker, and he is feeling the effect of breathing in smoke from a conventional bee smoker. Is the smokeless bee smoker a safe and effective alternative? How do large scale beekeepers and bee inspectors cope with smoke?
https://tinyurl.com/3usvkkpy

:hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull:
Bad mood this morning - apologies

i dont smoke give up years ago .smoking the bees does not bother me .unlike the chap next door he vapes ....not bees...and it gets up my nose horrible smell.
so dont think it would be something i would use .

Asking for a friend...
We have a member running 100 plus hives. He is a non-smoker, and he is feeling the effect of breathing in smoke from a conventional bee smoker. Is the smokeless bee smoker a safe and effective alternative? How do large scale beekeepers and bee inspectors cope with smoke?
https://tinyurl.com/3usvkkpy

Put such fuel that it does not make much white cloud. That cloud is gasified wood tar.

I use rotten dried birch.

Grasa, needle, cones are awfull smokestuff.

I gave up smoking years ago and it doesn't seem to affect me, then again, I try not to aim the smoker at my mouth. t's just a matter of being conscious of where the smoker is, and where the smoke is going.
Then again, I moved away from the BBKS led obsession of dousing the hive with smoke before and during inspection so I don't tend to get enveloped in the stuff.

I gave up smoking years ago and it doesn't seem to affect me, then again, I try not to aim the smoker at my mouth. t's just a matter of being conscious of where the smoker is, and where the smoke is going.
Then again, I moved away from the BBKS led obsession of dousing the hive with smoke before and during inspection so I don't tend to get enveloped in the stuff.

These days I barely use mine at all. Mostly just to move the bees off the tops of the boxes during reassembly I'd say.

James

I have the Apisolis so speaking form experience of both. Reason I purchased mine was due to young children and poly hives so just safer all round. Would it work on 100 hives possibly, however I do think it’s intended for much smaller numbers.

The bees move from the Vapor and air it expels moving them down or out of the way. I am slow and steady with what I have so don’t use smoke or the Vapor unless I need it. And in that regard its on hand - 3 squeezes and away you go.

I did see a video on the Anel smoker/vape that maybe more set up for a bigger set up. I don’t have that so can’t comment.

As an alternative, would a BBQ wood smoke flavour, diluted in water and used from a misting spray be any use? I’m also looking at an alternative to lit smoker.. thoughts please .

I always have a can of liquid smoke at the apiary for emergencies. I wouldn't be without it but I maybe only use it twice a year. I don't think they sell the stuff I still have.

When it's warm use a spray bottle of water. Misting them works well. Not so good when it's cooler in terms of bees welfare/workload IMO.
A while ago I was talking to a relative in the antipodes that keeps bees. He did mention that during periods of high fire danger having any flames including bee smokers are forbidden and liable to fines if caught. So he was mentioning using water mist instead or working bees without smoke.
0HMsliSJrYsN6Zgdt8Y2l2IbJUA-s40QwtZClCHSKAY.jpg

Would be interesting to hear whether its the same in @Antipodes neck of the woods?

I'm sorry to hear that - is there a cure?
I am sorry you felt the need to post that.

When balancing the need to ensure safety for young children and the ability to move or calm bees, I conducted my research and came to a conclusion that suited me and my needs.

Recently, I have noticed on here and on Facebook that some individuals seem to get involved in posts or topics they should simply pass by, as they have nothing constructive or kind to say.

I hope the original post gets a range of answers like water and liquid smoke to help them. I also have thought I would try a fine mist again this season from reading the helpful comments.

Recently, I have noticed on here and on Facebook that some individuals seem to get involved in posts or topics they should simply pass by, as they have nothing constructive or kind to say.
Yes, it happens but unless the post is rude defamatory or aggressive there’s no need for mods to do anything about them.

Yes, it happens but unless the post is rude defamatory or aggressive there’s no need for mods to do anything about them.
And even then we are fairly lenient unless it persists ....more likely to just remove the offensive bits. Some people can be a bit trigger happy - if they thought before pressing the post button it would help !

I am sorry you felt the need to post that.

When balancing the need to ensure safety for young children and the ability to move or calm bees, I conducted my research and came to a conclusion that suited me and my needs.

I hope the original post gets a range of answers like water and liquid smoke to help them. I also have thought I would try a fine mist again this season from reading the helpful comments.
Thanks. Best to ignore the attention seekers, I think.

Recently, I have noticed on here and on Facebook that some individuals seem to get involved in posts or topics they should simply pass by
I've also noticed on facebook and other platforms an increase in the number of pearl clutchers who feel obliged to take offence at anything which doesn't meet with the answer they want

Latest posts

Back