Smell of the Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Salaam fellow beekeepers

How would you define the smell of your hive(s) ? Do they all smell the same ? Is it same smell throughout the year ?

Maybe its depending on temperature or on the kind of honey the ladies gather ? Hard for me to say with one hive.

My hive has big ventilation holes so there is a distinct smell around the hive.

Hard to describe but its a healthy yeasty smell. Strange that I didnt notice it while opening the hive.

On a day of hard collecting I can smell the honey. I can also smell wax moth in stored frames.
E

On a day of hard collecting I can smell the honey. I can also smell wax moth in stored frames.
E

On a warm day, the sweet scent of honey (or even just beeswax) can fill the air. In the temperatures that psycad experiences, I can only guess how intoxicating that can seem.

Doesn't one of the diseases carry a distinctive musty / fishy smell?

I wish you could bottle the smell. It's gorgeous!

A Yeast smell is very distinct with the presence of foul brood although Dandelion pollen/honey can give a similar odour. Just extracted some spring honey that smells of toffee !

You must all have noses much more sensitive than mine. All I smell is wax and propolis.

I wish you could bottle the smell. It's gorgeous!

I have a jar with propolis in. When it's warmed in the MW it's redolent of the hives.....mmmmm....

You must all have noses much more sensitive than mine. All I smell is wax and propolis.

I have a jar with propolis in. When it's warmed in the MW it's redolent of the hives.....mmmmm....
It is a great smell, warm honey,wax and propolis. My wife can smell the hives on a warm summers evening when she's at the washing line a good 10 yards away.

Salaam fellow beekeepers

Opened the hive today and as usual : no smell. Well we have 49 degrees c today, so there should be smell.
I realize afterwards, that with all the smoke and the eucalyptus on my cloths, I cant smell anything.
My brain must have melted that I didnt understand this earlier.

(I always smoke my hand and feet abundantly to protect myself -trick from the vicar warre in his book)

Back