Small good quality extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlystrung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi All, I have 2 hives and hope to stay at that number going forward so my honey harvest is going to be modest in it's volume.

Does anyone have experience / advice on a good quality extractor that is well made / does the job well and will last. I'm assuming I only need a small capacity (2 frames), made in stainless steel and manual.

I would like to buy a quality machine that I will still have & is working well in ten years time - so am prepared to pay for that necessary "quality" rather than a cheap "entry level" type of machine.

Thanks for your comments,

regards,

Neil

I'd not consider a two frame extractor. Last year I hired a three frame extractor from my local society. I had the frames from four supers to clear. It seemed to take forever. I'm now looking at a six frame extractor from S.m.n the Beekeeper. Has anyone tried any of his extractors?

Hi Thorn
Yes, I bought one of his 6 fame radial manual extractors last year. It is well made from stainless steel does the job efficiently, easy to clean and was what I thought a very reasonable price. I found Simon great to deal with and offered discount for collecting at his site. Hope this helps.

Ooops! Should have been addresses to Highlystrung not Thorn!

I try to keep to 2 hives most of the time (last year I went to 5 and just did not have the time). I've just extracted the first batch from these 2 and it still comes to 5 supers' worth, i.e., 50 frames.

Last year I bought an 8-frame radial Giordan, powered by a drill (I don't use a drill but only because I had a different motor hanging about). It makes light work of the extraction and, even though it's only 2 hives, when I used a 6-frame tangential manual it used to take 3 times as long and I got very, very sweaty in my hot conservatory!

In my opinion, the Giordan is well made. Not exactly cheap at c£400 but it was cheaper than many others. So my advice is to go for the largest you can as it gets frustrating using a small extractor even with just 2 hives!

I try to keep to 2 hives most of the time (last year I went to 5 and just did not have the time). I've just extracted the first batch from these 2 and it still comes to 5 supers' worth, i.e., 50 frames.

Last year I bought an 8-frame radial Giordan, powered by a drill (I don't use a drill but only because I had a different motor hanging about). It makes light work of the extraction and, even though it's only 2 hives, when I used a 6-frame tangential manual it used to take 3 times as long and I got very, very sweaty in my hot conservatory!

In my opinion, the Giordan is well made. Not exactly cheap at c£400 but it was cheaper than many others. So my advice is to go for the largest you can as it gets frustrating using a small extractor even with just 2 hives!

:iagree:

I bought the same but the manual version. Cracking piece of kit I have borrowed various types over the years an can confirm its the best I've used.

even with 2 hives you should be hoping for 3 supers each on a good year.
so that'd be 30 goes of the extractor.

not sure what Giordan prices are like nowadays but very happy with mine (12 frame LS drill driven) .

I have the 8 frame drill driven Giordan and I really like it. It will take my 14x12 brood frames tangentially which is a bonus.

Latest posts

Back